Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Unable to Import-Module after powershell upgrade to v3.0

RAVI_PALADUGU

Hi,

I was able to successfully work until I upgraded the powershell to v3.0, as soon as i upgraded and restarted the machine I am unable to import the module. I have set the execution policy to unrestricted and also the folder is not blocked. Please help fix this.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Import-Module DataONTAP

Import-Module : Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Da

0x80131515)

At line:1 char:1

+ Import-Module DataONTAP

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Import-Module], FileLoadException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : FormatXmlUpdateException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Thanks

RK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RAVI_PALADUGU

Thanks Vinith!

I tried it before, but for some reason it didn't work. Now I have reinstalled the framework and then reinstalled the powershell tool kit and that did the magic.

It works now! Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

vinith

Hello Ravi - Can you try Reinstalling PowerShell Toolkit --> https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-22259

RAVI_PALADUGU

Thanks Vinith!

I tried it before, but for some reason it didn't work. Now I have reinstalled the framework and then reinstalled the powershell tool kit and that did the magic.

It works now! Thanks for the help.

JOHNGARRETT

FYI, Powershell v3 automatically imports your modules now, so you shouldn't have to use import-module anymore.

bsti

Regarding powershell 3.0 auto module loading - That's a nice feature, but you should consider manually loading your modules anyway.  This guy sums it up pretty well:

http://stevenmurawski.com/powershell/2012/01/powershell-v3-auto-loading-of-modules

In a nutshell, if the cmdlet you are reaching for is defined in more than one module, you may not know which one Powershell will load.  THis may cause unexpected results.  Your script behavior could change even though you only added a module to your PSModulePath directory and had not actually changed the script. 

Public