Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

When using the "-controller" option with commands such as get-navol I get "Get-NaVol : API invoke failed."

ryanf123

Any thoughts on this? I'm doing scripting for a lab environment, and using connect-nacontroller in the script works until I get halfway through the 150 or so flexclones I'm creating, and then I get errors stating that  the variable stored globally (I can't remember what it is, but I think it's $global:nacontroller) is not of type "netapp controller" (again, I don't remember the actual wording here, sorry). I'm open to any suggestions that may help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fjohn

When I work with many controllers, I generally put the controller objects in an array, then work with the array.  You can find an example here: http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-6293

J

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

paleon

The "-controller" parameter is expecting an object of type NetApp.Ontapi.Filer.NaController, not of type System.String.

As a result, the code below is correct.

$netappCred = Get-Credential -Credential "root"
$controller = Connect-NaController -Name "filername" -Credential $netappCred
$vols = Get-NaVol -Controller $controller

The code below here, is incorrect

$netappCred = Get-Credential -Credential "root"
$controller = Connect-NaController -Name "filername" -Credential $netappCred
$vols = Get-NaVol -Controller "filername"

I hope this helps.

Bill

fjohn

When I work with many controllers, I generally put the controller objects in an array, then work with the array.  You can find an example here: http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-6293

J

View solution in original post

ryanf123

After choosing the array route, I now am getting RPC server unavailable errors. Any thoughts? This also occurs when I try to use connect-nacontroller directly from PS.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public