Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

delete snapshots - keep snapmirror

JSHACHER11

hi guys,

I am trying to delete all snapshots older than 2 days and that don't have @snapmir@ in them

I was trying this but 'whatif' tells me that the snapmirror snapshots will still be deleted

Get-NaVol  | Get-NaSnapshot | where-object {($_.Created -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-2)) -and ($_.name -ne "@snapmir@*")} | remove-nasnapshot -whatif

here's an example of a snapmirror snapshot I want to keep:

@snapmir@{8DEC61ED-452A-4B21-8EDE-18503B0A2E37}

what am I doing wrong?

thank you

Joel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

beam

Hi Joel,

I think you might want to use -notlike instead of -ne so the wildcard is evaluated.

I just did a quick test:

PS C:\> '@snapmir@{8DEC61ED-452A-4B21-8EDE-18503B0A2E37}' -ne "@snapmir@*"

True

PS C:\> '@snapmir@{8DEC61ED-452A-4B21-8EDE-18503B0A2E37}' -notlike "@snapmir@*"

False

I hope that helps!

-Steven

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

beam

Hi Joel,

I think you might want to use -notlike instead of -ne so the wildcard is evaluated.

I just did a quick test:

PS C:\> '@snapmir@{8DEC61ED-452A-4B21-8EDE-18503B0A2E37}' -ne "@snapmir@*"

True

PS C:\> '@snapmir@{8DEC61ED-452A-4B21-8EDE-18503B0A2E37}' -notlike "@snapmir@*"

False

I hope that helps!

-Steven

View solution in original post

JSHACHER11

YES!!!  like a charm

JSHACHER11

Steven,

'whatif' showed no issue but when I actually try to delete I am getting this:

VERBOSE: Deleting snapshot exchsnap__ex_08-30-2013_19.05.47__daily from volume exch2_1.

Remove-NaSnapshot : Could not find file 'C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\omxngtox.dll'.

At line:1 char:244

+ Get-NaVol  | Get-NaSnapshot | where-object {($_.Created -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-5)) -and ($_.name -notlike "@snapmir@

*") -and ($_.name -notlike "hourly*") -and ($_.name -notlike "nightly*") -and ($_.name -notlike "smvi_*")} | remove-nas

napshot <<<<  -confirm:$false -verbose

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (10.5.5.5:NaController) [Remove-NaSnapshot], FileNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Snapshot.RemoveNaSnapshot

here is the script:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-NaVol  | Get-NaSnapshot | where-object {($_.Created -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-2)) -and ($_.nam

e -notlike "@snapmir@*") -and ($_.name -notlike "hourly*") -and ($_.name -notlike "nightly*") -and ($_.name -notlike "sm

vi_*")} | remove-nasnapshot -confirm:$false -verbose

any ideas?

cheers

beam

Does anything from Thread Link : 12737 help?  It's possible a restart of the PowerShell session or host might resolve it.

-Steven

JSHACHER11

yep, restarted the session and it went fine

Steven, is there something you don't know?

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public