Network and Storage Protocols

Heavy packet loss under ping -f

davidmcgiven

Dar NetApp Users,

I'm having some problems regarding linux NFS clients connecting to a FAS270 filer. The error is the infamous :

nfs: server xxxx not responding, still trying

nfs: server xxxx OK

I've tried different options on the client side (both under UDP or TCP NFS). Depending on the combination of nfs mount flags, it makes the problem to be less frequent, but sooner or later it always ends up showing this message.

I thought that, since there are two hops from those linux clients to the filer, a network problem might be ocurrying.

So I started to check for network errors and found this very alarming behaviour with the filer :

If I issue a "ping -f filer" I get very high percentages of packets dropped (from 30% to 70%). I've checked this between other hosts on the same switch and LAN and it doesn't happen (0% packet loss). It only happens when I ping a filer, no matter if it's on the same switch (0 hops) or on another switch in a different place (2 hops).

Is this normal ?

The filer is a NetApp FAS270 version 7.2.1.1. The client machines from which I issue the pings are linuxes (2.6) and Mac OS X.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

David

10 REPLIES 10
Public