Network Storage Protocols Discussions

"Directory does not exist" when creating CIFS share?

woodlandpark

What's up with this? First off, I had a test volume with a few shares. I renamed the volume to be more descriptive. The shares were fine. However, adding a new share always gave me the "Directory /vol/shares/sharename does not exist" error. Thinking something had just gotten messed up, I deleted the shares and then deleted the volume. I recreated the volume "shares" at /vol/shares and then tried to create a share "Applications" at /vol/shares/apps. It gives me the error. In fact, it gives me the error no matter what name I put or even a different path. I've recreated the volume several times including giving it the original "vol1" name that it had before I originally renamed it. I just keep getting "directory does not exist" when I try to create a share. I've also rebooted the filer to no avail. Am I missing something real easy? When I created shares previously it was just (a) create the volume and (b) create the share with the path using that volume.

1 REPLY 1

anthonyfeigl

Hey Robert,

If you are creating the shares from the MS console, I believe that is a standard error from MS that should be ignored.

I do not have access to manage filers with GUIs at my new office, and I seem to remember this happening on the MS GUI.

Create the share, ignore the error and try mapping it with appropriate permissions.

Hope this helps.

Anthony Feigl

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public