Network and Storage Protocols

Flex vs traditional volumes

ROMAN7927

I got fas2050, active/active, two aggregates, one on each controller. I need just one cifs volume for one need, and I have no need to have multiple volumes (no need to shrink, just to grow). Is there any benefit for me to run one flex volume per aggregate and depend on two volumes, or should I just go ahead setup one traditional volume across two aggregates?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

With aggregates you will be only using flexible volumes.  Traditional volumes are legacy (if the volume were the aggregate) and even if you only want one volume, make it a flexvol that takes the space of the aggregate.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

With aggregates you will be only using flexible volumes.  Traditional volumes are legacy (if the volume were the aggregate) and even if you only want one volume, make it a flexvol that takes the space of the aggregate.

aborzenkov

You still need separate root volume; and you probably would not want to spend the whole two or three disks for it.

Also even if there is no need in flexibility right now, I am almost sure suitable use will appear with the time. NetApp is simply too good to not use features it offers ☺

ROMAN7927

Thanks guys

Public