Network and Storage Protocols

Homedir for both CIFS andNFS Users

mechatronic

Hi

We have a mixed environment UNIX and Microsoft, AD and LDAP services.

I have managed to configure CIFS homedir perfectly and it works. Now I need the UNIX user to be able to access there data (homedir) from a UNIX style system.

Qtree security is set to "Mixed", is there anything else that needs to be configured, sure I'm not the first to attempt this. Your feedback would be greatly helpful.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

shaunjurr

Hi,

From my experience, and things might have gotten a bit better since I had to do any migrations, mixed mode is problematic and I would avoid it.

Basically, the security style on a qtree tells the filer where to ask for user information.  The file rights are admittedly different, NT-ACL's can be more complex if everything is used and have more "bit" as far as file permissions are concerned than unix files.  The easiest method is to use ntfs file security wherever you mostly access the files from windows and let your unix users be the same as your windows users.  Then the unix users will have access to all the files where that same windows user would.   Using unix security style will reduce the complexity of the permissions, but then also a certain level of security.

If you have, for example, Oracle databases via NFS, then ntfs security styles are probably a bad idea, it just complicates authentication (and will cause problems if AD authentication is every problematic... like if time sync isn't within 5 minutes, etc....).

Sharing out the "ntfs" (or for that matter "unix"= qtrees is just a matter of exporting them to your unix servers rw, with authentication "sys" if you don't use kerberos or such and then mounting them from the servers either permanently or with automount.

columbus_admin

Shaunjurr has the right idea....mixed is not really the way to go unless you have some application that absolutely requires is.

Your filers should be joined to your domain, if you have multiple, I hope they all trust one another.

Your filers need to be bound to LDAP.

if your usernames are the same in LDAP as they are in AD, simply run wcc -s DOMAIN\USERNAME to see if you are resolving properly.  If you put in mydomain\myuser and you see something to this effect, you are probably good to go:

(NT - UNIX) account name(s):  (mydomain\myuser - myuser)
    UNIX uid = 1055
    user is a member of group users (100)
    user is a member of group users (100)

NT membership
        BUILTIN\Administrators
        BUILTIN\Users
    User is also a member of Everyone, Network Users,
    Authenticated Users

Verify all the NT/AD memberships for the user are correct and there you go.  Otherwise you need to read up on the usermap.cfg file.

One thing to be sure you avoid if you have NTFS style permissions is setting ownership to creator/owner on files/directories.  This seems to throw *nix systems off, I believe due to the fact that creator/owner is actually a wrapper and thus *nix has no way to map it back to anything viable.

Public