Network and Storage Protocols

How to destroy my Netapp

monchgesang

Goodmorning all,

My FAS3220 is EOL and will be scrapped, what is the easiest way to delete all the data in a way that it cannot be recovered ?

Hope to hear from you.

Rein

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Steps to convert disks as 'spares' for sanitization purpose: [Objective : To erase all data & destory filer]

1) Reboot the filer and press ctl+c (holding control key and C key together) early in the boot process where it says (in effect) type ^C to get the boot options menu.

2) From the menu select item 4) Initialize

3) After you have selected option 4, you should be prompted by

Zero disks and install a new filesystem? Answer "y"
This will erase all the data on the disks, are you sure? Answer "y"

4) Once the disks are erased, filer will begin to boot again, when prompted, enter Ctrl + C for the special boot menu.
Set up the root volume aggregate.

4a) choose Option 4a from the special boot menu. Option 4a is only available if running Data ONTAP 7G or later.

5) Once filer boots up (set it up with minimum config) and have you gained access to console (filer>), you can then begin the 'sanitizaiton process' on the spare-disks as per the kb article shared earlier.

Courtesy: [Wonderful thread on the same topic]
https://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/Sanitize-entire-netapp/td-p/14030

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Ontapforrum

You can make use of Disk sanitization feature: [It's free]
Disk sanitization enables you to remove data from a disk or set of disks so that the data can never be recovered.

Useful links: [Covers both 7-mode and cDOT/ONTAP]
How to perform Disk Erasure, Disk Clearing and Disk Sanitization
https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1072424/~/how-to-perform-disk-erasure%2C-disk-clearing-and-disk-sanitization-

monchgesang

Thank you for your info !

Before santitizing the disks they must be marked as spare disks, can't find the command to make them spare.

any help is appriciated

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Are the disks that you intend to convert to 'spare' part of an aggregate ? If yes - You must destroy the aggregate, all the disks will be converted to 'spare'. Before that : Make sure the aggregate does not contain volumes (data) that are or will be neded in future. If so, then first move those volumes to another aggregate.

Is that your query ?

monchgesang

My problem is that if I try to put the aggragate offline it comes with :

dtgfiler1> aggr offline aggr0
aggr offline: Cannot offline aggregate 'aggr0' because it contains one or more flexible volumes.

Ontapforrum

Are the volumes in the aggregate :  still there ?  You must offline and destroy the volumes before you could destroy the aggregtes, this is to ensure that you do not want to keep anything.

monchgesang

All volumes are deleted except vol0, this volume is still online and cannot set offline...

Ontapforrum

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1032954/~/how-to-offline-and-delete-an-aggregate-containing-flex-vols-in-c-mode-%2Aif

Use the force command. Is it cdot ?

Plz take a look at the kb. Let me know if you can access it.

monchgesang

Fas3220 is running Ontap 7, the commands in the KB don't wordk

Ontapforrum

My last reponse was from my phone, so didn't really read what your version was.

It's 7-mode I can see that, that article will not apply.

I saw that it's an root aggregte : aggr0,  therefore, root_vol cannot be taken-offline. Therefore, plan will be :

1) Boot up, erase all the disks.

2) Create Raid-4 (2 disk) or Raid-DP (3 disk) root vol

3) When system boots , all the rest of the disks will be spare.

4) Do the saniatizaiton job.

I will send you the steps, shortly.

Ontapforrum

Steps to convert disks as 'spares' for sanitization purpose: [Objective : To erase all data & destory filer]

1) Reboot the filer and press ctl+c (holding control key and C key together) early in the boot process where it says (in effect) type ^C to get the boot options menu.

2) From the menu select item 4) Initialize

3) After you have selected option 4, you should be prompted by

Zero disks and install a new filesystem? Answer "y"
This will erase all the data on the disks, are you sure? Answer "y"

4) Once the disks are erased, filer will begin to boot again, when prompted, enter Ctrl + C for the special boot menu.
Set up the root volume aggregate.

4a) choose Option 4a from the special boot menu. Option 4a is only available if running Data ONTAP 7G or later.

5) Once filer boots up (set it up with minimum config) and have you gained access to console (filer>), you can then begin the 'sanitizaiton process' on the spare-disks as per the kb article shared earlier.

Courtesy: [Wonderful thread on the same topic]
https://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/Sanitize-entire-netapp/td-p/14030

monchgesang

Dear all,

With help of an ex Netap engineer I managed to destroy the data on the FAS3220. Actions were as mentioned above ...

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

Ontapforrum

Good to hear that.  Thanks for the update. Good luck!

RajeshPanda

@monchgesang  If any of the above response have answered your query please click the Accept as Solution button to help others find the same answer.

Josean01

Hello.
We are trying to destroy some old NetApp in 7 mode and i was wondering, if it's possible and how to obtain the sanitize license for these Hardware.
The first is a FAS8020 with Data ONTAP 8.2.2P1 7-Mode, and the second one is like FAS8020 but really is a IBM N-Series with Data ONTAP 8.1.4P2 7-Mode. The data were migrated to another hardware a few years ago.
Obviusly, they don't have support contract yet (old NAS), but we need to destroy the disks .
Is it possible obtain de sanitize license for this old hardware? How we can obtain this license?
Thanks a lot.

Ontapforrum

Do you still have a valid support contract with NetApp (Not for those systems) with any current Hardware that you are using? Is there a NetApp Account Manager assigned to your company ? If you have a valid contract, and you are able to access the support site and open a case (not-technical), then you might want to post your  query and get a reply.

These are the kbs related to sanitise that you may find handy.

If you have a valid support account, this kb explains this. (The licenses are free)

https://kb.netapp.com/onprem/ontap/hardware/Disk_Sanitization

Disk Sanitization - NetApp Knowledge Base

https://kb.netapp.com/onprem/ontap/os/Using_disk_sanitization_to_remove_data_from_spare_disks

Using disk sanitization to remove data from spare disks - NetApp Knowledge Base

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196986/html/GUID-76CEE44B-CBC2-45C0-917D-1B7C43576933.html

How disk sanitization works (netapp.com)

Josean01

Hi.

Yes,  this old hardware was replaced with new one , so we have support from it. So I'll open a support case with the new hardware and I'll launch the query. I hope to make progress. Thank you for the recommendations.

Thanks a lot.

Ontapforrum

You're welcome. Please raise a query with NetApp. As you have a valid support with NetApp, I am sure they will be able to help you with the license (as it is free). I don't know if anything has changed since, but do let us know how you get on.

Josean01

I've just opened a case support with  NetApp. As you are saying, we hope , that we'll have soon our sanitize license. I'll inform you about it.

Thanks a lot.

Josean01

Hello.
As was recommended to me in this post, a case has been opened with NetApp support, but it has not been satisfactory, because we have not obtained the sanitize license that was intended.
To obtain it, it was suggested that I open a non-technical case (like the one I opened) against a serial of the machines that would be affected by the sanitize (this is not possible because, as I said, they do not have maintenance).
For these reasons we are forced to perform a disk erase instead of sanitize.
The erasing of disks that we want to do must be done by CLI commands in order to obtain the evidence and be able to present it.
Can you offer us a step-by-step procedure in which we can perform this erasure (disk erasure) of the disks using CLI commands for our old machines in 7 mode?.
The official NetApp information that we have seen about the "Disk Clearing" procedure (Disk erasure that NetApp likes to say) executes the command "disk sanitize start -f -p 0x00 -c 1 <disk>"
Wouldn't this make it essential Have the Sanitize license? We are very confused, please could you provide to us with a clear and effective procedure that does not require a license, step by step for clearing discs?
Thank you very much in advance.

Public