Network and Storage Protocols

Migrate NAS from IBM Spectrum to Netapp C-mode ?

dhazevedo

hello, I'm performing a migration from an IBM Spectrum storage to NetApp C-Mode using xcp nfs, however the ibm storage has a particularity the snapshots folder is created with the name ".snapshots" and this is causing my copy to slow down.

I tested the scenario using the syntax below:
xcp copy -match -match "'/.snapshots/' not in str (x)" <source> <target>

I managed to make the copy without taking the data but the entire folder structure was created.

I tested this is another syntax

xcp copy -match "'snapshots' not in name" <source> <target>

The result was the same created the entire folder structure and did not take the data,

Both scenarios suit me but I would like to try to optimize because the scan of the entire volume snapshot structure at IBM is making xcp slow, and in the end I am obliged to access the destination and delete this folder so as not to confuse the users.

Is there a filter that does not copy this folder, similar to robocopy -XD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ttran

Hello Dhazevedo,

Excluding specific files and directories option with XCP isn't supported until XCP version 1.6.2. This is documented in bug RFE: XCP should have option to exclude specific files/folders while migration from source to destination 

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

aladd

Hello @dhazevedo 

I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

When you perform a copy from the IBM Spectrum storage, it is creating a .snapshot directory on the NetApp C-mode storage.

Is this a fair characterization of the question?

dhazevedo

Correct, xcp is copying the ".snapshots" folder that is related to the volume snapshot in IBM Spectrum, with the match syntax I reported, the data is not copied but the entire folder structure is created on the NetApp volume.

In robocopy there is the -XD option that would be able to exclude the ".snapshots" folder from the copy to NetApp, I believe the problem is in the xcp syntax -match but I have not found a solution.

aladd

Any chance you can post a screenshot of the directory as it appears to you?

Curious if this is in addition to the NetApp standard .snapshot directory or if it has attempted to copy the original directory.

dhazevedo

I'm putting a picture of the origin and destination

Storage IBM 

origem.JPG

Storage NetApp

destino.JPG

.snapshot -> default  snapshot folder NetApp

.snapshot-> default snapshot folder IBM

The data is not overwritten, as in NetApp the folder is .snapshot and in IBM it is .snapshots

By the documentation xcp already skips the copy of the entire folder with the name .snapshot, however as in the origin the storage keeps the folder with the name .snapshots I need to skip the copy using filters in the parameter -match

I tested the parameters:

xcp copy -match -match "'/.snapshots/' not in str (x)" <source> <target>
xcp copy -match "'snapshots' not in name" <source> <target>

However, as seen in the print, the folder is created in NetApp

dhazevedo

any suggestion?

ttran

Hello Dhazevedo,

Excluding specific files and directories option with XCP isn't supported until XCP version 1.6.2. This is documented in bug RFE: XCP should have option to exclude specific files/folders while migration from source to destination 

Team NetApp
Public