Network and Storage Protocols

Need Guidence With FAS3270HA

cgeck0000

Hardware specs.
Dual chassis FAS3270HA
4 port 4 Gb FC HBA PCIe cards in slot 3 and 4 on each chassis
2 port FCoE HBA card in slot 1
2 Brocade 5000 switches
5 FC connected disk shelves (4 ESH4, 1 AT-FCX)
1 SAS connected disk shelf
The FC disk shelves are connected to ports 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b

Customer has purchased 2x4 port GbE PCIe NIC card and 4x4 port FC HBA 4Gb PCIe to install and setup disk shelf multipath.

Of course they want to install everything non-disruptive, but there is a lot of hesitation because of major maintenance window failures in the past.

I've started reviewing their environment and see some issues.  My first question is, the HA Interconnects, do c0a and c0b interfaces need to be configured with their partner interface as shared?  Also, should c0a and c0b be configured on different subnets or the same?  And do they need to be configured in the /etc/rc files also?

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

Cluster interconnect is configured automatically by system. You should never touch it manually.

I am not sure if it is possible to change IP network in case it conflicts with customer LAN; but this is the only concern that may exist.

cgeck0000

Hi aborzenkov,

My concern came about from running the NetApp HA Configuration checker and it was complaining about c0a and c0b not having a partner and not being in the /etc/rc file.  So this is fine for the FAS3270 model?

Some other items I see is controller 1 has interface e0a set to its partner IP address instead of its interface e0a, will this still work?  Controller 1 interface e0b is configured for its partner e0b, but controller 2 e0b has no partner configured can takeover and giveback still happen?

Thanks!

aborzenkov

Then it needs to be updated for FAS3200 familiy. I submitted feedback on HA checker page.

Using partner with IP address for physical interface should work. If only one system has "partner" interface defined, interface takeover will obviously work in one direction only.

cgeck0000

We have a Monday night maintenance window so before proceeding with the non-disruptive installation of the 4 FC HBA cards and 2 4 port GbE cards I will bring down the interfaces and configure properly.

I need some help with proper cabling of the FC disk shelves into the 4 port FC HBA cards. This always confuses me for some reason.  Right now the configuration is:

4 port FC HBA card in slot 3 and 4 of the 3270 expansion I/O chassis

There are 5 loops connecting into 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b on both heads

With the installation of the other cards there will be a 4 port FC HBA card in slot 3,4,5,6 so we can add the multipath cables. Can you help me to get this cabled correctly and understand the best method of doing FC disk shelf cabling?

Thanks.

Public