Network and Storage Protocols

Volume information missing in FPolicy request for NFS

MohitD

Hi,

I have configured NetApp FPolicy on a NFS volume. The FPolicy server I have developed get requests from NetApp. I am filtering the following operations (NFS_REN, NFS_REN_DIR, NFS_DEL, NFS_DEL_DIR, NFS_SET_ATTR).

I am using Data ONTAP 9.1. In the respose that NetApp sends, there is no information on the volume in which the file is present.

Here is a sample response that I got for Rename of a file:

"...."<?xml.version="1.0"?><Header><NotfType>SCREEN_REQ</NotfType><ContentLen>1135</ContentLen><DataFormat>XML</DataFormat></Header>..

<?xml.version="1.0"?><FscreenReq><ReqId>401673</ReqId><ReqType>NFS_REN</ReqType><NotfInfo><NfsRenReq><CommonInfo><ProtCommonInfo>
<ClientIp>10.1.10.84</ClientIp><GenerationTime>1495492522475821</GenerationTime><UsrIdType>UNIX_ONLY</UsrIdType><UsrContext><UnixUid>502</UnixUid>
</UsrContext><FileOwner><UnixUid>502</UnixUid></FileOwner><AccessPath><Path><PathNameType>WIN_NAME</PathNameType><PathName>\Data\boot.log</PathName>
</Path><Path><PathNameType>UNIX_NAME</PathNameType><PathName>/Data/boot.log</PathName></Path></AccessPath><VolMsid>2155207719</VolMsid>
<FileSize>28028</FileSize><NumHardLnk>1</NumHardLnk><IsOfflineAttr>0</IsOfflineAttr><FileType>FILE</FileType><IsSparse>0</IsSparse><IsDense>0</IsDense>
</ProtCommonInfo><ProtVer><MajorNum>3</MajorNum><MinorNum>0</MinorNum></ProtVer><UserGids>20.702.12.61.79.80.81.98.701.33.100.204.395.398.399.</UserGids>
</CommonInfo><TargetAccessPath><Path><PathNameType>WIN_NAME</PathNameType><PathName>\Data\boot_renamed.log</PathName></Path><Path><PathNameType>UNIX_NAME
</PathNameType><PathName>/Data/boot_renamed.log</PathName></Path></TargetAccessPath></NfsRenReq></NotfInfo></FscreenReq>

Here we can see that the file boot.log got renamed to boot_renamed.log. But how can I find the volume where the file is located? Is there some way to request that information from NetApp's FPolicy engine?

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jeff_Yao

hi

<VolMsid>2155207719</VolMsid>

volmsid is Master data set ID (msid) which is like a unique id for volume a bit like FSid what we have on 7mode system. there're some differences as well.

use the volume show command with msid to find it

thanks

Jeff

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jeff_Yao

hi

<VolMsid>2155207719</VolMsid>

volmsid is Master data set ID (msid) which is like a unique id for volume a bit like FSid what we have on 7mode system. there're some differences as well.

use the volume show command with msid to find it

thanks

Jeff

MohitD

Thanks yaoguang. That helps.

Public