Network and Storage Protocols

all NFS exports disappeared

jimshomer

Hello all,

My NFS license expired while the system was in use (things started to fail). I deleted the old license and entered a new license key, the system happily accepted the new license. I restarted the NFS server OK. The problem is that when I opened the Manage NFS Exports area (using the browser) all of my exports were gone, absolute nothing there.

Would someone please give an explanation of what happened. Do I need to do something else in this case to restore these export?

Mant thanks!!

JS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

odd.. licensing should not edit the exports file as far as I know.  I would look at /etc/auditlog and find the time you added the license and any events after that.  Did you run the "setup" command?  If you did that, it will whack exports, hosts, hosts.equiv, resolv.conf, etc... that sounds like what may have happened.  In that event, those files are saved as .bak versions by setup before it changes them.  Are there bak versions around the same time you did this?

Like Eugene said...best option is probably to restore from a snapshot... easiest way is to copy from the snap like mentioned above... if no file access you can single file snap restore it, use java mode to cp it, or rdfile from the snapshot exports "rdfile /vol/rootvolname/.snapshot/snapname/etc/exports" and wrfile back to "/etc/exports" but I would back up current exports first.  You might want to open a support case before doing anything just to have them help track the cause.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ekashpureff

Ouch !

Resore your /etc/exports file from a snapshot.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Fastlane NetApp Instructor and Independent Consultant
http://www.fastlaneus.com/ http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

jimshomer

Eugene,

Thank you very much for your helpful answer. Once I restore the /etc/exports would the system still know what the entries in this file mean anymore (i.e., if it still maintain the original file/directory structures and locations referred to in /etc/exports).

BTW, would snap restore work on /vol/vol0 please?

Thanks again,

JS

ekashpureff

Hoping the /etc/exports file will still have all of your old export definitions.

If you're using an NFS adminhost you'll have to delete the current /etc/exports file before you copy the old one out of the snapshot directory.

Easier to copy it out of the .snapshot directory than to do a snaprestore.

You can do a volume snaprestore on vol0, which will initiate a reboot of the filer.

It would also revert you back to the expired NFS license. I wouldn't want to do that...

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Fastlane NetApp Instructor and Independent Consultant
http://www.fastlaneus.com/ http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

jimshomer

Thank you much for your help.

JS

scottgelb

odd.. licensing should not edit the exports file as far as I know.  I would look at /etc/auditlog and find the time you added the license and any events after that.  Did you run the "setup" command?  If you did that, it will whack exports, hosts, hosts.equiv, resolv.conf, etc... that sounds like what may have happened.  In that event, those files are saved as .bak versions by setup before it changes them.  Are there bak versions around the same time you did this?

Like Eugene said...best option is probably to restore from a snapshot... easiest way is to copy from the snap like mentioned above... if no file access you can single file snap restore it, use java mode to cp it, or rdfile from the snapshot exports "rdfile /vol/rootvolname/.snapshot/snapname/etc/exports" and wrfile back to "/etc/exports" but I would back up current exports first.  You might want to open a support case before doing anything just to have them help track the cause.

jimshomer

Hi, thank you for your input. I wish I can go to the office now to try this out.

Since I dont know there is such a command (setup) I am pretty sure I didn't type it in, not intentionally. Will check to see if any .bak files you mentioned. After entering the licenses and I used a telnet session to reboot the system when seeing that things still not working.

Many thanks,

JS

Public