Network and Storage Protocols

copy files from one CIFS share to another...the NetApp way

Gunnar64

Hello

I am banging my head against the wall and can't find the answer.

I have 2 CIFS and want to copy files from one CIFS subfolder to a different CIFS subfolder.

Normally I just go to windows file explorer and copy, or even use RoboCopy, Powershell...whatever

Here are my problems: can't really do that, the 2 CIFS are in 2 different vLANs, not visible to each other, and the we are talking 1.5 TB with about 4 mil files

so, considering NetApps file system WAFL, its all just pointers (in this case at least), so i should be able to use OntAps Powershell module and "tell NetApp" to copy it

I can't find the correct cmd or using a wrong syntax

I have tried:

Copy-NcHostFile

Copy-NaHostFile

i have tried to get anywhere with 

get-ncfile

get-nccifsshare

but i just can't get anything going other than retrieving some info about the shares and the CIFS, but nothing which will list files or even copy a file or an entire subfolder

am I missing something, is there a way to script this? I like to script this because this will likely come up more often with different folders.

Thanks everybody for your input and help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mbeattie

Hi,

The issue with using FlexClone in this case is it's a space efficient point in time of the entire volume (not just a sub directory). If your data is actively being used and you have a high rate of change you would need a method to sync  the changes (and as you've stated you don't have access between the source and destination vservers). Is the destination vserver on the same cluster as the source vserver? It sounds like NDMP copy might be better option for you as it can offload the copy process to the ONTAP storage system and can be used to target directories in a volume.

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/tape-backup/transfer-data-ndmpcopy-task.html 

Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mbeattie

Hi,

Just an idea to consider...but have you thought about taking a flexclone or volume copy of the source volume (removing the data that is not required in it then moving the directory containing the files you want to copy to the root of the volume) then mounting the cloned\copied volume into the junction path within the destination file system? That would spare you from having to copy millions of files. Hope that gives you some ideas. Taking a flexclone would enable you to test it out without having to copy any data

Alternately NDMP copy might be an option for you too.

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Gunnar64

Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply.

FlexClone: I have not worked with that, so i don't have a lot of knowledge here. I can not touch, change the source as it is actively being used, i will have to read up on FlecxClone to see if I am understanding you correct.

Also, the data is in a subfolder of a share on a Volume. Your description sounds a little like FlexClone would copy the entire volume - that would be too much

NDMP copy: question here is.... does it copy through a client?

NetApp -> client -> NetApp (that would mean 1.5 TB will have to travel through the network)

Rather than just add records in the WAFL system 

Am I on the correct path with my thinking, or way off :-)?

mbeattie

Hi,

The issue with using FlexClone in this case is it's a space efficient point in time of the entire volume (not just a sub directory). If your data is actively being used and you have a high rate of change you would need a method to sync  the changes (and as you've stated you don't have access between the source and destination vservers). Is the destination vserver on the same cluster as the source vserver? It sounds like NDMP copy might be better option for you as it can offload the copy process to the ONTAP storage system and can be used to target directories in a volume.

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/tape-backup/transfer-data-ndmpcopy-task.html 

Hope that helps

/Matt

Ontapforrum

Agree with Matt. Considering your current situation, you should try ndmpcopy. It will transfer locally on the FILER and will not involve another client and/or network.
https://kb.netapp.com/onprem/ontap/dp/NDMP/How_to_run_ndmpcopy_in_ONTAP

Public