Network and Storage Protocols

health check up on netapp filers

netappnasadmin

Hello everyone,

i am curious to know how can we perform a daily health check up on the netapp filers to confirm filers functioning properly & no issues.

please can any one share the thoughts on this or share any scripts on this what....?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RichardSopp

It’s going to depend on a few factors:

· Size of environment

· Protocols used (in your case I’m assuming NFS and CIFS as you posted in File Services)

· Other infrastructure components you have in your environment

For contractual reasons I cannot share any scripts however here are some thoughts for a robust check up process for medium to large size implementations:

· Not all UIs, alerts are equal so a multi-tiered approach will ensure you keep your reputation as an excellent storage admin

· Consider forwarding the syslogs from your Filers to a central syslog repository and parse the file for key events (not all events will generate an SNMP alert so log review is critical)

· Where possible use Operations Manager to monitor your environment

· Where possible employ a SNMP trap receiver and alerting system to process and notify SNMP alerts

· Don’t rely on just the Filerview summary page. It doesn’t capture everything.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

adamgross

Download a copy of System Manager and add your filer(s) in.  Pretty sure it's free, check your software downloads page on NOW. You'll get a top view status like the screen in my attachment.  From there, drill down as far as you want.  It's an awesome tool.

Tirthaghy

Hi everyone,

Do you happen to know how to automate health checks without having autosupport options?

Thanks much,

Tirtha

RichardSopp

It’s going to depend on a few factors:

· Size of environment

· Protocols used (in your case I’m assuming NFS and CIFS as you posted in File Services)

· Other infrastructure components you have in your environment

For contractual reasons I cannot share any scripts however here are some thoughts for a robust check up process for medium to large size implementations:

· Not all UIs, alerts are equal so a multi-tiered approach will ensure you keep your reputation as an excellent storage admin

· Consider forwarding the syslogs from your Filers to a central syslog repository and parse the file for key events (not all events will generate an SNMP alert so log review is critical)

· Where possible use Operations Manager to monitor your environment

· Where possible employ a SNMP trap receiver and alerting system to process and notify SNMP alerts

· Don’t rely on just the Filerview summary page. It doesn’t capture everything.

netappnasadmin

in my envioronment i have NFS & CIFS protocols..

is there any commands i can run everyday morning before i start my work on the filers( like check list i need to see on the filers) & see  the healthy status of the filers...?

appreciated for answers or solutions..........

sridharp

Kindly let us know, if there is any command apart form

> sudo rsh filername sysstat -f/-i

Public