ONTAP Discussions

7 mode Cascade snapvault-snapmirror relationship

Hitesh123

Hi All,

Currently i am having a snapvault relationship between system A and system B. Problem is i do not have space left on system B so i need to move some of volumes from system B to system C (i have enough space on system C) with all existing snapshots using snapmirror and then reestablish a snapvault relationship between system A and system C. I am running 7 mode 8.2.x on all three systems. 

But when i am initializing snapmirror relationship between system B and system C i am getting below error. 

"Transfer aborted: a replicated qtree cannot be a replication source."

I believe this configuration is supported but not sure what i am missing. So can you please help.

Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3

GidonMarcus

Hi,

There could be only one file based replication (Qtree snapmirror and snapvault) relationship in a cascade chain.

hence, as the article @aborzenkov  added, you require using volume snapmirror to do this migration.

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

Ontapforrum

I guess this is understood: Only one SnapVault relationship is supported in a cascade chain, however multiple mirror relationships are supported.

I think the user is doing : A --> Vault --B --Intends to do Mirror --> C (Should be ok). As long as he is not providing qtree as replication dataset which could be the reason for that error.

However, if user will be able to re-establish vault between A to C is something I am not sure, and that's why I think Aborzenkov's Technote looks appropriate to me, as it says - Scenario 2 : If moving individual Qtree SnapMirror, SnapVault, or OSSV destination qtrees from one destination volume to another.  That is what user's ultimate goal I thought : As the user is running out of storage on System B.

@Hitesh123: Could you clarify that?

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public