ONTAP Discussions

7 mode Cascade snapvault-snapmirror relationship

Hitesh123

Hi All,

Currently i am having a snapvault relationship between system A and system B. Problem is i do not have space left on system B so i need to move some of volumes from system B to system C (i have enough space on system C) with all existing snapshots using snapmirror and then reestablish a snapvault relationship between system A and system C. I am running 7 mode 8.2.x on all three systems. 

But when i am initializing snapmirror relationship between system B and system C i am getting below error. 

"Transfer aborted: a replicated qtree cannot be a replication source."

I believe this configuration is supported but not sure what i am missing. So can you please help.

Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3

GidonMarcus

Hi,

There could be only one file based replication (Qtree snapmirror and snapvault) relationship in a cascade chain.

hence, as the article @aborzenkov  added, you require using volume snapmirror to do this migration.

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

Ontapforrum

I guess this is understood: Only one SnapVault relationship is supported in a cascade chain, however multiple mirror relationships are supported.

I think the user is doing : A --> Vault --B --Intends to do Mirror --> C (Should be ok). As long as he is not providing qtree as replication dataset which could be the reason for that error.

However, if user will be able to re-establish vault between A to C is something I am not sure, and that's why I think Aborzenkov's Technote looks appropriate to me, as it says - Scenario 2 : If moving individual Qtree SnapMirror, SnapVault, or OSSV destination qtrees from one destination volume to another.  That is what user's ultimate goal I thought : As the user is running out of storage on System B.

@Hitesh123: Could you clarify that?

Public