ONTAP Discussions

7-mode command to show 32-bit snapshots

ShivaR

We are panning for upgrade from 7-mode Data Ontap 8.1.4P4 to 8.2.4P6. I have generated upgrade adviser and looks fine.

But my filers contain 32-bit aggregates. My query is, upgrade adviser did not suggested to upgrade aggr to 64-bit. Other than benifits with 64-bit aggr, Can I ignore upgrading 32-bit aggr.

If yes I can go ahead with Data Ontap upgrade as usual right.

if not, obviously I have to update 32-bit aggr.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

colsen

Hello,

The following TR has about the most in-depth discussion I've seen about 32/64-bit aggregates:

http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-3978.pdf

The bottom of page 8 has a "benefits of 64-bit" section and there's also good background information on requirements, procedures, etc.

Since 32-bit support doesn't drop off until 8.3 (which is a non-issue for 7mode) you're not "forced" to go to 64-bit.  However, if you wanted to perform a copy-free transition of this system over to ONTAP9 or something else along those lines, you'd need to be 64-bit.  That said, as JGPSHNTAP points out, 64-bit aggregates are really the way to go, especially if you're anywhere near the aggregate capacity on what you're running and might want to add new disk/etc (and might bump into the 16TB limit).

Good luck!

Chris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

colsen

Hello,

The following TR has about the most in-depth discussion I've seen about 32/64-bit aggregates:

http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-3978.pdf

The bottom of page 8 has a "benefits of 64-bit" section and there's also good background information on requirements, procedures, etc.

Since 32-bit support doesn't drop off until 8.3 (which is a non-issue for 7mode) you're not "forced" to go to 64-bit.  However, if you wanted to perform a copy-free transition of this system over to ONTAP9 or something else along those lines, you'd need to be 64-bit.  That said, as JGPSHNTAP points out, 64-bit aggregates are really the way to go, especially if you're anywhere near the aggregate capacity on what you're running and might want to add new disk/etc (and might bump into the 16TB limit).

Good luck!

Chris

View solution in original post

JGPSHNTAP

snap list -fs-block-format

I would suggest upgrading to 64 bit if you plan on in the future doing tdp mirrors to cdot.

Plus 64-bit is wave of future 🙂

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public