ONTAP Discussions

About first initial 20minimum drives count number for DS460C to de deployed. still true?

JavierBarea

Hello people

just doublechecking about the requirement of having at least twenty drives NLSAS HDD drives within a DS460C to be deployed.

does it still remain as such?,  I mean still true about for proper cooling populating first row in each drawer?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMAC_CTG

A minimum of 20 drives is needed for proper cooling 

• The first four slots (0, 3, 6, and 9) are occupied in each drawer. This ensures proper airflow in the disk shelf

Beyond that, disks should be evenly distributed  on each drawer

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

This Kb, might have seen it already, does say that anything less than 60 drives needs to be placed in a 'U' shape pattern (first 4 slots) for each drawer to eliminate/not generate error messages.

How to arrange disks in a non fully-populated DS460C or DE460C shelf
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/FAS_Systems/How_to_arrange_disks_in_a_non_fully-populated_DS460C_or_DE460C_shelf

Hello people again.

Thx for being so quick.

is that the answer to my question a yes?   20hdd are needed?

reading this below

"For a partially populated DS460C/DE460C disk shelf which does not have a drive in every drive slot, you must ensure that:

• The first four slots (0, 3, 6, and 9) are occupied in each drawer. This ensures proper airflow in the disk shelf
  • In a shelf with 30 drives, the first 20 drives must be in bays 0,3,6,9 of each of the 5 drawers; with the remaining ten drives distributed evenly throughout the shelf in slots 1 and 10 of each drawer"

i am not 100% sure yet

Regards

Ontapforrum

Yes. The reason is this key recommendation : "A DS460C shelf that has disks fully populating the first row in the drawer (0, 3, 6, 9) will not create EMS alert in ONTAP, nor generate an Active IQ alert." Considering this requirements, you will need 4 in each of the Drawers (4 x 5 = 20 Minimum).

As you have 20 drives: In each drawer's first row will occupy : 0,3,6,9 x 5D = 20 Drives

TMAC_CTG

A minimum of 20 drives is needed for proper cooling 

Beyond that, disks should be evenly distributed  on each drawer

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public