ONTAP Discussions

About having ADP-RD2 in Hardware Controller Upgrade, any gotcha?

JavierBarea

Hello people

We are about planning to do a controller upgrade from AFF-A300 to AFF-A700 in the near term timeframe.

ONTAP version will be remained as such as it is currently (9.7P14).

I did something similar in the past (CDOT 8.3.2times) from fas3250 to fas8060 without any problem using Aggregate Relocation , but indeed , a lot of attention and care.

Reviewing the specific doc  "Using ARL to manually upgrade controller HW running ONTAP 9.7 or ealier" which seems the ideal in my case (https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2875250),  it states nothing about having ADP-RD2 for root aggregates in source system (A300).

Anybody can say anything about same situation with possible inconveniences for not having "physical complete disks, but partitions"?

it should not pose (theorically) any problem, but I prefer asking first

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

If I recall, and you should consult hwu to be sure,

the root aggregates for the a700 are the same as the fas9000 which unfortunately is 1tb. You should see either either about extending your current root aggregate to over 1tb or finding 1tb usable (which is minimally 4x969gb ssd using raid dp) and using the migrate-root command

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TMACMD

If I recall, and you should consult hwu to be sure,

the root aggregates for the a700 are the same as the fas9000 which unfortunately is 1tb. You should see either either about extending your current root aggregate to over 1tb or finding 1tb usable (which is minimally 4x969gb ssd using raid dp) and using the migrate-root command

JavierBarea

Thanks for the advice. Pretty useful. That is exactly one of my concern, because even with current spare root partition nowadays, it seems a "quite" tight to fit in.

Public