ONTAP Discussions

Assign disks from an old system

joe_mackey

I'm pretty new to NetApp, and I'm completely stumped. I had 12 disks from a retired system that I tried to add to an existing shelf (the disks are identical in model/size). The old controllers were 7-mode and the new is a Cluster mode 8.3.

The system saw the new disks, showed them as unknown and zeroed, and I was able to assign them to my preferred controller. When I looked at the disk list, I didn't see 12 new spares as I would have expected to. I looked at the details of the disks and they show as beloning to Controller #1 (which I assigned) and aggregate #2 (Controller #1 owns aggregates #1 and #4).  

I thought maybe something went crazy with auto-assign, so I turned off auto-assign, unassigned the disks and started over, but got the exact same results with auto-assign off. So I presume the disks are still assigned to the aggregate from the old system (I cannot verify this, as those controllers are unavilable)?

Is there a way to assign these disks as spares so that I can create a new aggregate or is there some kind of "nuclear option" zeroing process I can do to remove the old system assignment?

Or is this just a support call?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2

joe_mackey

Worked like a charm. Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public