ONTAP Discussions

CIFS Protocol Fails Intermittently

Zadok

Hi

So I just configured this New NetApp FAS2750 and everything seems fine, except the CIFS/Volume Share.

It works only when I restart the CIFS service on the storage, and then I am unable to access the Volumes after some hours.

It runs on ONTAP 9.9.

Can someone help me with what I should do to fix this, I have added the domain credentials and included the DNS.

11 REPLIES 11

maffo

are you using NTP to keep time in sync between the cluster and the domain controller?

if the time difference is higher than 5 minutes, authentication will fail

Zadok

The time is the same.

It's not even about authentication here per se.

One minute I am able to access the file share, ten minutes later I am unable to access the file share.

I have attached the error.

paul_stejskal

Any errors in the event log? Try running "set diag; event log show" and see if it logs anything. If not, a tcpdump may be needed. There are also some good suggestions on the articles on the KB site under this search string: https://kb.netapp.com/Special:Search?qid=&fpid=230&fpth=&query=cifs+share+not+accessible&type=wiki

SandeepKuna

Hello Zadok, Is the issue resolved? We are facing the similar issue which is bothering us a lot.

Zadok

Hi SandeepKuna,

So this has been resolved.

The issue was on the AD. We had duplicate systems created.

We had to create a new hostname for SVM on the Active Directory.

This resolved the issue.

Although, then we could not access the shares via the hostname. We use the IP address.

Now that has changed.

paul_stejskal

Are you getting any errors or anything? There aren't many details here to identify the issue.

paul_stejskal

What error are you getting/behavior? Unable to access is a broad statement that could be anything from an error message to simply timeouts.

SandeepKuna

Hello,

We are having strange issue which is intermittent. Users face issue in accessing the files/ folders and they get the errors as attached which will be back to normal in sometime. There is no particular timeframe or folder/file specific for this issue. 

We have tried collecting the tcp dumps, performance analysis but no luck. 

paul_stejskal

I wonder if it isn't a security software client problem? I assume you've logged a case?

SandeepKuna

Yes, NetApp case is in place and even Engineering team is involved.

Not sure what the problem is😑

paul_stejskal

Well...if Eng is involved and stumped, I'm not gonna know the problem unfortunately. 😞

Usually with these kinds of things you  just have to keep gathering data until we get a log that gathers something.

Public