ONTAP Discussions

Can vservers be set to "read only?"

NetappGuy7

We're in the middle of migrating several vservers to the Cloud (using Azure), and the client wants to request a method of migration that prevents clients from making changes to their work via read only (which I don't think is feasible) or a method that syncs up any changes made by the client during migration. I seem to recall that being a feature via snapmirror but i'm not entirely sure how it works

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mjizzini

The NetApp Cloud Sync service offers a simple, secure, and automated way to migrate your data to any target, in the cloud or on your premises. Whether it’s a file-based NAS dataset (NFS or SMB), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) object format, a NetApp StorageGRID® appliance, or any other cloud provider object store, Cloud Sync can convert and move it for you.

Cloud Sync overview

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ontapforrum

No, vservers cannot be set to 'read-only'. But, as you said 'snapmirror' definitely comes handy provided it is going to CVO (Cloud Volume Ontap) in Azure. Else, you might have to look for other tools such as netapp cloudsync, xcp, robocopy etc.

Azure Storage Replication with SnapMirror (netapp.com)

https://anfcommunity.com/2021/04/28/migrating-to-azure-netapp-files/#:~:text=%20Migrating%20to%20Azure%20NetApp%20Files%20%201,to%20handle%20high-volu...

Mjizzini

The NetApp Cloud Sync service offers a simple, secure, and automated way to migrate your data to any target, in the cloud or on your premises. Whether it’s a file-based NAS dataset (NFS or SMB), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) object format, a NetApp StorageGRID® appliance, or any other cloud provider object store, Cloud Sync can convert and move it for you.

Cloud Sync overview

Public