ONTAP Discussions

Cluster and Data Network

PunitWaghela

Hi Team,

Suppose we have 4 node cluster ( it May be FAS or it may be AFF) and now we want to connect this all 4 nodes through cluster interconnect switch so:

1) Which switch can we use to connect these all 4 nodes? (LAN switch or SAN switch)

2) If LAN switch then why LAN switch? and if SAN switch then why SAN switch?

Now we have connected 4 node though cluster inter-connect switch so can we use same switch for the Data network??

- if yes, then suppose cluster-interconnect switch is SAN and customer wants to use ethernet protocol so do we also need to have the LAN switch or can we use same SAN switch? Because as per my understanding we can not use SAN switch for ethernet connectivity (Plz Correct me if I am wrong) 

- If yes, then suppose cluster-interconnect switch is LAN and customer wants to use FC protocol so do we also need to have the  SAN switch? Because as per my understanding we can not use LAN switch for FC connectivity (Plz Correct me if I am wrong) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

The data network and the cluster network are two different networks. They should not be shared. You will have issues using your own ( or unsupported)  switches.  

go to HWU.Netapp.con to see what switches are supported as cluster network switches. 

the current shopping list is small:

Cisco Nexus 9336C-FX2

Broadcom BES-53248

NVIDIA S2100 (I think that’s the model number)

There are special configuration for each switch called reference configuration files (RCF) that must be applied. 

now you cannot add nodes containing data to a cluster. You can start with two nodes that have data, maker or a switched cluster. Then add two nodes that have been wiped. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TMACMD

The data network and the cluster network are two different networks. They should not be shared. You will have issues using your own ( or unsupported)  switches.  

go to HWU.Netapp.con to see what switches are supported as cluster network switches. 

the current shopping list is small:

Cisco Nexus 9336C-FX2

Broadcom BES-53248

NVIDIA S2100 (I think that’s the model number)

There are special configuration for each switch called reference configuration files (RCF) that must be applied. 

now you cannot add nodes containing data to a cluster. You can start with two nodes that have data, maker or a switched cluster. Then add two nodes that have been wiped. 

Public