ONTAP Discussions

Clustered ONTAP CLI "path" inconsistencies

bobshouseofcards

Hey gang - 

Looking for a comments to see whether there is a point to pushing NetApp for a CLI change in Clustered ONTAP.

My personal preference is to use the CLI for most things - GUI tools like SystemManager is nice to have for some quick lookups, but for serious work I find it to be too limiting (not all options exposed) and too slow (too much refresh).  Similarly the work I do doesn't always lend itself to WFA setups - mostly because either the shops are too small or the staff is too small to merit a full WFA build.

With that as background - the gripe - the CLI is inconsistent.  

Examples:

Ever notice how when a volume path is needed, there are like 3 or 4 different ways to specify the path, and particular commands need it a specific way?  LUN paths start with "/vol" and require you to specify the vserver in a separate option.  Snapmirror paths can be specified in one shot as vserver:volume.  Namespace paths require vserver on a separate option and paths start with "/" - no "/vol", which affects shares, but qtree paths need the "/vol" at the front.

Seriously - can't we get "path" entries to use just one standard?  Are we still that tied to the 7-mode way of doing things that we are stuck with the idiosyncracies of the past?

Couldn't a LUN path be specified as vserver:volume/lun?  A qtree as vserver:volume/qtree?  Namespace might be a bit more tricky to address with that the "/" can be arbitrarily assigned, but surely it too could be more unified.

Thoughts?

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public