ONTAP Discussions

Create a user limited to create/delete snapshots on ontap 8.3

SorinAndruseac

Hello,

I'm trying to create a user/pass to conect to the netapp storage from powershell and create/delete snapshots using this account. Preferable to have a more restrictive set of permissions.

And also a document on svm users vs cluster users if anyone knows, besides system administration guide.

BIG THANKS for any ideea.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

georgevj

security login role create snapRole -cmddirname "volume snapshot" -access all -vserver <vservername>
security login role modify -role snapRole -cmddirname DEFAULT -vserver <vservername> -access none
security login create -user-or-group-name snapUser -application ontapi -authmethod password -role snapRole -vserver <vservername>

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

georgevj

security login role create snapRole -cmddirname "volume snapshot" -access all -vserver <vservername>
security login role modify -role snapRole -cmddirname DEFAULT -vserver <vservername> -access none
security login create -user-or-group-name snapUser -application ontapi -authmethod password -role snapRole -vserver <vservername>

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

View solution in original post

SorinAndruseac

This is briliant, 

However when trying to connect on the managment interface of the svm, I get this error:

Connect-NcController : Insufficient privileges: user 'snapUser' does not have read access to this resource

I had to add the following. Seems to be working.

security login role modify -role snapRole -cmddirname version -vserver <vservername> -access all

BIG THANKS for the ideea 

georgevj

You are welcome!

Its good to know that I did help someone today 🙂

Much Appreciated.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public