ONTAP Discussions

Current best practice for assigning disks to nodes

Stormont

We have two x DS4246 shelves that we have attached to our FAS8200.  We are planning to expand our current aggregates, but I wanted to see what the current best practice is for assigning the disks to our nodes. 

• Assign all 24 disks from one shelf to Node 3 and all 24 disks from the other shelf to Node 4
  • Assign 12 sequential disks from one shelf to Node 3 and the other 12 to Node 4. Repeat with the second shelf
  • Randomly split the 24 disks in each shelf between nodes
3 REPLIES 3

SpindleNinja

What's the current config?   

I would avoid mixing different generations of disks in a single aggr.   

Stormont
We will be making a new aggregate, but still need to determine the best way to assign disks to nodes.

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.

SpindleNinja

I would probably do a single aggr on one node between the two shelves considering it's all SATA honestly.   

As far as disk ownership...  either 1 or 2 then,   "randomly"  isn't really a good thing.    Something like the A controller to all the even slots and B controller to the odd slots is also an option.  

Public