ONTAP Discussions

Data and Management on the same subnet

Ron_Brinker

I remember reading years ago that it was best practice to not have your management ports (ie e0M) on the same subnet as your data LIFs to prevent traffic inadvertently being routed over e0M and impacting performance.

After searching this board and the KB database, I can't seem to find that recommendation anymore. Is this no longer an issue with modern versions of ONTAP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

You cannot run data on e0M. 
if you have lifs using the same ip network range, the best thing I’ve found to do is to use good old failover groups instead of broadcast domains 

You still setup the broadcast domains and include everything where it’s supposed to go (mixing e0M and say a0a for instance). 

but instead of using the broadcast domain as a failover group, create an actual failover group that includes only the lifs you need/want. Apply that to the lifs

then you don’t get errors/warnings about multi reach broadcast domains. And ONTAP still does what you need it to

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TMACMD

You cannot run data on e0M. 
if you have lifs using the same ip network range, the best thing I’ve found to do is to use good old failover groups instead of broadcast domains 

You still setup the broadcast domains and include everything where it’s supposed to go (mixing e0M and say a0a for instance). 

but instead of using the broadcast domain as a failover group, create an actual failover group that includes only the lifs you need/want. Apply that to the lifs

then you don’t get errors/warnings about multi reach broadcast domains. And ONTAP still does what you need it to

Public