ONTAP Discussions

Dedude Ratio

lethaniel

What are the average dedupe ration for an 100% vmware deployment.

3 REPLIES 3

ZaphodBbx

This is very much a "How high is up?" question. 

I have an AFF A700, and a FAS 9000 with only ESX hosts attached running Ontap 9.4P1. The A700 has all efficiency functions enabled, the FAS9000 is only using inline compression/compaction.  Both arrays are delivering block level services via FC, with no filer protocols in use.

Some guests have data that has already been significantly compressed/deduped, and for these even 1.15:1 is reasonable.

On some other guests I have seen 2.5:1 just with compression/compaction.

Those numbers are without snapshots or cloning.

I look at efficiency with regard to placing things on the flash or spinning disk unit. If it doesn't need high IOPS/low latency, and it isn't very efficient, it goes on spinning disks.

SpindleNinja

All depends on the data.  Some applications will dedupe better than others.     

What's your workload(s); SQL, Exchange, VDI, Oracle?   

ANDRESCHMITZ
Hi lethaniel, I can report from "the field" that we have deduplication and compresssion ratios between 1,52 to 3,54. It depends on the data. If you have a "normal" VMWare Environment with DC,Exchange, FileServer, SQL, and so on, an Efficiency Ratio of 2:1 is absolutly realistic. If you have Medical Data like PACS it will be unrealistic. Kind regards Andre
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public