Aggregate Allocated Used Avail Total space 8269068044 KB 7303559008 KB Snap reserve 516077104 KB 393364 KB WAFL reserve 1146838016 KB 126746100 KB
I) Running aggr show_space show the aggr is having WALF reserve about 1 TB, the Aggregate allocated space is about 8TB
2) Problem is with this volume called VMWARE01 which is a volume presented to ESX hosts used to create VMDKs.
from aggr show_status
The volume VMWARE01 has volume guarantee=NONE, the lun inside this VMWARE01 has LUN space_guarantee=enabled
from df -g
3) Despite doing some housekeeping such as reducing the size of a VMDK significantly, the free space from df -g in Netapp storage doesn't show much free space released. We checked from ESX, the datastore has free space about 2 TB
4) Question will, turning off space_reservation on LUN free up the space on the volume VMWARE01 ?
Yes, I think it is tie to the free disk space in the Aggregate.
My next question would be for that /vol/VMWARE01 volume, is it safe to turn off LUN space guarantee ?
According to my VMWARE team colleague, the datastore after some housekeeping should have about 2 TB free space but this is not reflected in the volume. This is because the LUN has a space reservation enabled. Is it safe to turn off the space reservation just like that ? And will turning off the space reservation free up the space to the volume ?
Note that you have an output saying "Space Reservation: enabled (not honored by containing Aggregate)" Hence, changing the space reserve on the LUN will not change your free space situation.
There's also indication for it in the output of "Occupied Size", If you reckon this output is inflated (which I suspect it does as on your opening post you referred to a similar figure), it likely to be the ESXi not doing UNMAP to free-out space.
1) The Aggregate has 9.5 TB capacity. I did a aggregate show_status : I see the aggregate has 8 TB for data, 500GB for snap reserve, 1 TB for WAFL reserve.
2) Some of the volumes have guarantee reserve, some don't.
3) The volume VMWARE01 is showing that about 8.4 TB is allocated (over-provisioning) and having no guarantee reserve for volume, so a aggr show_space only showing that 5.5 TB is allocated..
4) We tried to do housekeep on the datastores in VMWARE01 volume. With the housekeeping, on ESX level it is showing that it is only utilizing 3 TB of disk space.
My question will be if we "turn off" the LUN reservation now, will more free space be reduced ? A lun show -v on the VMWARE01 lun showing that the lun is 5.3 TB used...or even if we turn off LUN reservation now, it will not help ? By the way, customer is not using snapshots. They had turned off snapshots on the volume long time ago