ONTAP Discussions

Disable CP type U triggers

MKELLYSCSC

CDOT 8.3.2P5

We recently installed the netapp-harvest/graphite/grafana combo and we're really impressed with the information we are getting out of it.

One of the things I've noticed is that the single biggest cause of CP events is the flush/sync trigger (CP type U).

Is it possible to configure ONTAP to disable/ignore this trigger?

I'm pretty sure that we would be happy to wait for the 10 second timer to expire to trigger the next CP event.

1 REPLY 1

mencher

ONTAP triggers Consistency Points (CPs) for multiple reasons, and you can read up on them here: https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1001446 I would stress that CPs are a normal function of ONTAP, ensuring data consistency and improving write performance.  The only CPs that would be of concern in normal operations would be "B" or "b", which indicate that the controller is seeing incoming write workload higher than its ability to flush data to disk, although even seeing these type of CPs may not be a concern if write latency is not elevated.

In this case, the "U" type CPs are being generated by clients flushing asynchronous writes to the controller, and are a normal part of controller operations.

-Ken Mencher

Lead EE, Americas Performance

Public