ONTAP Discussions

Disks number are different between 2 aggregates, why ?

Gael-26

Hi NetApp Community,

I've just setup a new fresh config into my FAS2552 in Switchless clustered DATA ONTAP mode and i need explanations about disks and aggregates.

I have a 24 disk shelves and 2 controllers, at the beginning of my configuration, I set 3 disks as root volume, so I think this is why they don't have Container name when I type disk show :

1.0.19              836.9GB     0  19 SAS     shared      root_aggr_node_01
                                                                    Node_01
1.0.20              836.9GB     0  20 SAS     shared      -         Node_02

Usable           Disk    Container   Container
Disk                   Size Shelf Bay Type    Type        Name      Owner
---------------- ---------- ----- --- ------- ----------- --------- --------
1.0.21              836.9GB     0  21 SAS     shared      root_aggr_node_01
                                                                    Node_01
1.0.22              836.9GB     0  22 SAS     shared      -         Node_02
1.0.23              836.9GB     0  23 SAS     shared      -         Node_01
24 entries were displayed.

Now i only have the 2 root aggregates and I need to create 2  news, one for each controller.

So i'm going to create one from onCommand System Manager, then I see there's 14 disks for one controller and 10 for the other :

Capture.PNG

So my question is : how the system attribute disks to Node ?and why I can't have something like : 12 disks for one controller and 12 on the other ?

Regards,

Gael

3 REPLIES 3

mcgue

From your output I see that your disks show as a container type of shared.  It looks like then you are using 8.3.x that supports root-data partiioning that might describe some of what you are seeing.  Take a look here:  https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP12458210/html/GUID-52897F29-1442-47CA-BD02-53F435D9FCC7.html.  It shows a pretty good graphic of the layout of disks with this type of assignment.  Can you review that against your configuration?

Gael-26

Thank you for the link. I understand the process but I don't know what to do for changing that.

In my actual configuration I've got 2 controller, so 2 root aggregates (so one aggregate per controller), their size can't be modified and it's auto-managed by the system itself isn't it ?

All my disks have "shared" container type cause it run version 8.3P1, moreover they all got Node_01 or Node_02 as owner.

Their container name are root_aggr_node_01 or root_aggr_node_02 but when I type "disk show" , 5 of 24 disks haven't a container name.

Furthermore, I think I confused notions like spare,root ...

Do you know what I mean ?

Really thank you for reading and answering.

Gael

Gael-26

Could someone help me ? I think it's simple but I don't know what to do.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public