ONTAP Discussions

Fileserver Migration with robocopy

hzickner

I want to migrate data from am Windows2012 server to a NetApp CIFS share.

robocopy \\winserver\source \\vserver\destination /MIR /COPYALL /XO /FFT

It does the initial copy without errors. In the second run I ant to copy only changed files, but robcopy incorrectly recognizes everythig as changed and does the whole job again. Between two Windows servers robocopy works as expected. Only modified files are transferred in the second run.

Anybody else with this problem?

Holger Zickner

23 REPLIES 23

mattgio

Hello Greg,

from experience I had success performing the copy using the following robocopy script:

#powershell
$source = "\\source\path"
$destination = "\\destination\path"
$log = "yourlogname$_(get-date -format 'yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm').txt"
robocopy $source $destination /MIR /FFT /TEE /R:0 /W:0 /log+:C:\Logs\"$($log)"

The /FFT switch should anyway fix this and if you give it a try you might be able to actually turn any additional copies into incrementals.

Here's an explanation of what the /FFT does:

"/FFT is necessary to copy between file systems, such as Windows’ NTFS and Linux’s EXT4. If you don’t use this you can get wierdness like files looking like they’re newer than they really are, etc., since the two file systems keep time differently."

Hope it helps, let me know

longren

Solution

• In 9.3P15 and later, ONTAP can be configured to allow the ctime of a file to be set earlier than when the file was created on the ONTAP filesystem to match the source file ctime
  • Please contact NetApp Technical Support and reference this article for further assistance. The solution requires Diagnostic-level recovery. The use of Diagnostic commands and recovery steps is potentially disruptive and should only be used when directed by NetApp personnel.

Mikkar

When I migrated from a Win File server -> NetApp filer (ONTAP 9.8) just run robocopy with syntax:

ROBOCOPY.exe /e /xj /r:3 /w:3 /v /it /purge /DCOPY:T /copyall /MT:4 d:\XXXX \\NETAPP-FILER\XXX /log:c:\Script\LOG\X.log /NP 

For the incremental just running above but added /zb to make sure all files will be transferred. 

Public