ONTAP Discussions

FlexGroup Snapshot auto trim

BelaAtCU

Hi All,

I am in the process of converting existing FlexVols to FlexGroups on 9.10 cluster. There is a documented restriction that says snapshot auto delete does not work with FlexGroups.

Does anyone know if this restriction will be lifted in a near future? Are there any work arounds you may know?

Thank you!

Bela

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

Hello!

To check for any roadmap on this, I suggest you contact your netapp sales/pre-sales representative in order to get some information.

Workaround would be automating this externally, checking usage and manually deleting the snaps (scripts)...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pedro_rocha

Hello!

To check for any roadmap on this, I suggest you contact your netapp sales/pre-sales representative in order to get some information.

Workaround would be automating this externally, checking usage and manually deleting the snaps (scripts)...

BelaAtCU

Hi Pedro and All,

This is an older posting about FlexGroup auto snapshot tri, support. The feature was suppose to be added to 5.12 which is now released.  I did not see it in the release notes. Does anyone know if it made it to the release?

If anyone has done the ontap 5.12 upgrade can easily check. In GUI Volume Edit of a FlexGroup volume should see a checkbox for "Automatically delete older Snapshot copies" In 5.11 FlexGroup Volume this is not there. Also when you do a volume conversion on 5.11 it mandates to disable it.

Thank you,

Bela

pedro_rocha

Hello Bela,

I checked at LOD. System Manager still do not show that option. But I was able to enable snapshot autodelete for the flexgroup volume using the CLI:

pedro_rocha_0-1677848796221.png

pedro_rocha_1-1677848863233.png

So I believe it is implemented, but not yet in the GUI.

Regards,

Pedro

BelaAtCU

Hello Pedro,

Ontap Cluster with 5.11 code displays this error when trying from CLI:

::volume snapshot autodelete> modify -vserver svm-1 -volume ConversionTest -enabled true

Error: command failed: Modification of the following fields: snap-autodelete-enabled not allowed for volumes of the type "FlexGroup volume - Read-Write volume".

But based on your checking it must be working in 5.12.  Thank you so much this really helped me out!

kind regards,

Bela

Public