ONTAP Discussions

FlexGroup Volume: half of constituant are full

JFMartin_ESI

Hi,

One of my customer called me the other day because he was having problems with a recently created FlexGroup on his A250 (12 x 3.8TB drives, OnTap 9.9.1P3). The customer tried to do a first pass copy of data (CIFS) in preparation of a migration. During the copy operation, the unit complained about a flex group volume being full. Upon examination with us, we found that 3 out of 6 volume constituant (all residing on one aggregate, node1) were full. Why are the other 3 constituant still empty?  Thanks for your insights!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

That's currently the behaivor,  but it's worth asking.  I have worked through it before with customers. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SpindleNinja

All were created at the same time?   

Capacity on both aggrs good?   

JFMartin_ESI

Since it was a brand new unit, yes, space on aggr was ok. I think not all constituant were created at the same time as the customer realize that initially, constituant were on one aggr only (node1)... then I came in and told him that node2 has space and could be added so the load is distributed. not sure how the other constituant were created on node2. 

SpindleNinja

That could very well be it. 

Currently,  If you add new ones they will be empty,  new data will be placed in them as new files are written in, but it will also try and still place in the existing ones.   

Since it's a new build/migrate etc.  I would just start over.  

JFMartin_ESI

This could be a possible solution... the customer won't like to re-do its scp/robocopy pass but ... 

SpindleNinja

That's currently the behaivor,  but it's worth asking.  I have worked through it before with customers. 

Public