ONTAP Discussions

How do I change the Filer name in ONTAP 8.1 (7mode)

sawai

We are planning to replace NetApp.

Old NetApp environment
> Model: FAS2240
> Ontap: 8.1.4P1
> Controller A host name: HostA
> Controller B host name: HostB
> Filer registration name: HostA
> NAS usage: CIFS only
> User authentication: AD

New NetApp environment
> Model: FAS2750
> Ontap: 9.9.1 (planned)
> CIFS server name of SVM: HostA
> NAS usage: CIFS only
> User authentication: AD

AD environment
> AD server OS: Windows 2016
> AD function level: Windows 2012

Because of the problem of inter-system linkage, the customer wishes to continue using the old CIFS server name (HostA).

During the data migration period until the changeover between the old and new NetApp, the CIFS server name of the new NetApp SVM will be temporarily set as (newHostA) and join AD.

When switching between the old and new NetApps, the following measures may be necessary
1. Change the Filer registration name of the old NetApp to (oldHostA) and rejoin AD.
2. Change the CIFS server name of the new NetApp SVM to (HostA) and rejoin AD.
3. Operation check test after the switchover and production switchover

(Switch back if a problem occurs during the switchover)
1. Change the CIFS server name of the new NetApp SVM to (newHostA) and rejoin AD.
2. Change the Filer registration name of the old NetApp to (HostA) and rejoin AD.
3. Test to confirm the operation after switching back

The following is what we want to check.
1. Procedure for changing the Filer host name of the old NetApp
When a new Filer is created, it seems to be set by the (cifs setup) command.

When the Filer name is changed, doI have to execute the (cifs setup) command in the same way?
Please let me know the specific procedure for changing the name.

2. The name of the old NetApp controller A is the same as the name of the Filer, but do I only need to change the Filer?
Is it necessary to change the controller name as well?
Please let me know the specific procedure for changing the name.

3. The AD server is Windows 2016 (functional level 2012), does this affect the old NetApp Filer settings? Will this affect the old NetApp filer settings?

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pedro_rocha

Hello,

I'll try my best:

The filer hostname is not important regarding the cifs server configuration. At the end of the day, you access it via a DNS entry, so there is where you can make changes during your migrations and rollback. Of course, after everything is ok, you might want to change the hostname just to have an organized environment.

cifs setup will ask you if you want to change the cifs server name after a couple of steps: "Would you like to change this name?". It will require to terminate the cifs service first.

You don't have to change it's host name. If you want, change it by the hostname command and then edit the /etc/rc file so it is persistent across reboots.

- rdfile /etc/rc to read the file contents (save this output)

get the output from above and edit on your text editor

- wrfile /etc/rc to write to the file

paste the contents from your text editor and hit "enter" then ctrl+c

- rdfile /etc/rc to read the file contents and confirm the hostname change.

From the NetApp IMT, 8.1.4 supports CIFS version 1.0 - 2.1. 9.9.1 supports 1.0 - 3.1.1. Both ONTAP versions support domain controllers on 2012 or 2016.

You can check for details on the IMT - https://mysupport.netapp.com/matrix

If you don't mind answering, what is that "problem of inter-system linkage"?

other resources:

- change the cifs server name in clustered ontap:  https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_rename_CIFS_server_name_or_OU_in_Active_Directory

- https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/What_is_the_impact_of_modifying_or_deleting_or_recreating_a_cifs_serve...

Regards,

Pedro

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pedro_rocha

Hello,

I'll try my best:

The filer hostname is not important regarding the cifs server configuration. At the end of the day, you access it via a DNS entry, so there is where you can make changes during your migrations and rollback. Of course, after everything is ok, you might want to change the hostname just to have an organized environment.

cifs setup will ask you if you want to change the cifs server name after a couple of steps: "Would you like to change this name?". It will require to terminate the cifs service first.

You don't have to change it's host name. If you want, change it by the hostname command and then edit the /etc/rc file so it is persistent across reboots.

- rdfile /etc/rc to read the file contents (save this output)

get the output from above and edit on your text editor

- wrfile /etc/rc to write to the file

paste the contents from your text editor and hit "enter" then ctrl+c

- rdfile /etc/rc to read the file contents and confirm the hostname change.

From the NetApp IMT, 8.1.4 supports CIFS version 1.0 - 2.1. 9.9.1 supports 1.0 - 3.1.1. Both ONTAP versions support domain controllers on 2012 or 2016.

You can check for details on the IMT - https://mysupport.netapp.com/matrix

If you don't mind answering, what is that "problem of inter-system linkage"?

other resources:

- change the cifs server name in clustered ontap:  https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_rename_CIFS_server_name_or_OU_in_Active_Directory

- https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/What_is_the_impact_of_modifying_or_deleting_or_recreating_a_cifs_serve...

Regards,

Pedro

paul_stejskal

I would suggest upgrading to 8.2.5P5 then using 7MTT.

pedro_rocha

Good idea!

Just bear in mind that probably he is out of support and any issue from the upgrade or during it, they are "alone".

But definitely, way easier!

Public