ONTAP Discussions

How to add new disk to an existing aggregate

AndyYang

Hi 

I have an Fas2552 Running C-DOT 8.3.1P1 enable ADP

and now I want to add new disk to the existing ADP aggregate

I have no idea after I assign disk to Filer

how do I partition the new disk under C-DOT?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

asulliva

The Physical Storage Management Guide has a detailed section on how to add storage to an ADP aggregate, starting on page 138.

In a nutshell, if you add an unpartitioned disk to a RAID group with partitioned drives the system will automatically partition it.  If you add the disk to a RAID group, or create a new one, with unpartitioned drives, then the system will not partition it.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

scottgelb

I had some odd behavior where ONTAP will mix drives.  If you have a FAS2500 with 12 partitioned drives... for adding physical drives, I would create a new raid group then use the slightly larger drives for the new raid group in the same aggregate.  Note that if you only have partitioned drives, make sure to leave a virtual spare (9D+2P+1S).. if you have partitioned and physical of the same size, then you can go with only physical spares and use all 12 drives for the data rg0 (10D+2P).

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public