ONTAP Discussions

How to aggregate aggr0 size ?

Wencheng

Hi All

I am new netapp guy and I am learning netapp ONTAP 12.

Now I using simulator ONTAP12 to learn and try to crete a audit to monitor file-ops , but then I create ...it show affr0_<My ClusterName>_01 has not enough space.

But I check each item from webconsole...I could not see see object which name start with aggr0.

Who could teach me how to fix it ??

thanks!!

Wencheng 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Please take your time and read the documentation & Kbs.

Audit Config creation for a SVM will fail, if any of the aggregates in the cluster do not have 2GB of free space to create staging volumes. In such a scenario, the Cluster administrator should increase the size of the aggregate which does not have sufficient space and the audit config creation should be retried for the SVM. Even if there are some aggregates that do not have data volumes for the SVMs for which auditing is being configured, the Cluster administrator should make sure that such aggregates also have 2GB of free space. When Auditing is configured for any Storage Virtual Machine (VSever aka SVM) in the cluster, Data ONTAP creates a system volume called Staging volume of size 2GB on each aggregate in the cluster. If you read my reply, I had suggested checking the aggregate space and if need be add the additional disks to expand it.

I requested for aggr0 space? You did not share it .

To create audit config, there should be minimum '2GB' free space on the aggregate in order to create a staging volume (MDV_aud_*).

Steps:
1) Please run this command:
::> aggr show
2) Check the space in the 'Available column', if it is less than 2GB?
3) Add the spare-disks to aggr0 and any other data aggr and expand it, and create that space, so that MDV_aud_* volume can be created in the  aggregate.
4) Once there is minimum 2GB space, re-run the audit create command.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Ontapforrum

aggr0 is the root aggregate of the NetApp ONTAP Storage (in this case Simulator).

What is root aggregate : root aggregate (aggr0) contains the node’s root volume, which basically contains special directories and files for that node. This is a FlexVol volume that is installed at the factory or by setup software. It is reserved for system files, log files, and core files.  For more info, see the related kb section below.

To add more disks to aggr(aggr0), simply use this command:

::> storage aggregate add-disks -aggregate aggr0 -diskcount <n>

Hopefully, there are spare-disks:

::> aggr show-spare-disks

This information is available in the Simulator Install and Setup Guide, which you can download along with the Simulator. 

Apart from this, as you are new to NetApp, I suggest just look up. There is plenty of  information on internet/netapp forum/netapp kb site to get you started with NetApp storage concepts.

Please Note: The simulator image comes pre-configured with 28 1 GB disks; 14 each on simulated disk shelves 0 and 1. Simulated disk shelves 2 and 3 are not populated. You can configure up to a maximum of 220 GB total space for each Simulate ONTAP node. Again, this information is quoted from the Simulator Install & setup guide.

Related:

Rules governing node root volumes and root aggregates overview (netapp.com)

https://kb.netapp.com/onprem/ontap/os/How_to_create_or_remove_auditing_staging_(MDV_AUD)_volumes

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/nas-audit/auditing-process-concept.html#consolidation-process-when-a-node-is-unavailable

ONTAP 9 Documentation (netapp.com)

Wencheng

HI 

Thanks !! I got it from simulator document.

a question: I  saw a docuemt

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/nas-audit/create-auditing-config-task.html

cluster1::> vserver audit create -vserver vs1 -destination /audit_log -rotate-size 200MB
 The logs are stored in the /audit_log directory

it said -destination it log stored location...but why I run command still direct to aggr0_"clustername_01" ??

Thanks!!

Wencheng

Ontapforrum

What is the available space showing for root aggr?

Wencheng

HI

Now My aggr0 volume size about 2.40GB , but my audir seem need 1.93GB free space.

Wencheng

Ontapforrum

Please take your time and read the documentation & Kbs.

Audit Config creation for a SVM will fail, if any of the aggregates in the cluster do not have 2GB of free space to create staging volumes. In such a scenario, the Cluster administrator should increase the size of the aggregate which does not have sufficient space and the audit config creation should be retried for the SVM. Even if there are some aggregates that do not have data volumes for the SVMs for which auditing is being configured, the Cluster administrator should make sure that such aggregates also have 2GB of free space. When Auditing is configured for any Storage Virtual Machine (VSever aka SVM) in the cluster, Data ONTAP creates a system volume called Staging volume of size 2GB on each aggregate in the cluster. If you read my reply, I had suggested checking the aggregate space and if need be add the additional disks to expand it.

I requested for aggr0 space? You did not share it .

To create audit config, there should be minimum '2GB' free space on the aggregate in order to create a staging volume (MDV_aud_*).

Steps:
1) Please run this command:
::> aggr show
2) Check the space in the 'Available column', if it is less than 2GB?
3) Add the spare-disks to aggr0 and any other data aggr and expand it, and create that space, so that MDV_aud_* volume can be created in the  aggregate.
4) Once there is minimum 2GB space, re-run the audit create command.

Wencheng

Thanks your command , it is useful to me.

I use aggr show to check aggr0 for cluster and tier (My SVM create on this Tier), then check bot free space to add capacity to create audit function.

another question: when I use simulator , even I do not place data or create object...the simulator always show disk has no free space about 2 days ? whether any protection or any setting I could disable it to avoid disk free space up to 0% ??

Thanks!!

Wencheng

Sergey_Osipov

https://mysupport.netapp.com/api/tools-service/toolsbinary/simulate-ontap/download/Simulate_ONTAP_9-12-1_Installation_and_Setup_Guide.pdf

You need to disable root volumes' snapshots. Please follow the very last chapter of the guide.

Wencheng

Hi

Thanks!! It is grate useful for my lab .

Wencheng

Public