ONTAP Discussions

How to install NFS Plugin for VAAI 2.0 on vSphere 7.0 U2 or U3 via LCM?

sraudonis

Hi,

i can't install the NAS Plugin via LCM on a 7.0 U2 or U3 host.

Here a example of a U3 host, a U2 host shows the same:

sraudonis_0-1633533329351.png

It seems that the plugin can only be installed via LCM on ESXi version 7.0.1.

Manual install via CLI is pollsible, but before i go on each host directly, is here something i can do?

Kind regards

Stefan

PS:  What happens with the global support? I'm now waitung for 58 minutes and hearing music... Such behavior i expect from my telephone company or from a end user support, but not from the support of a enterprise storage vendor!

8 REPLIES 8

sraudonis

I can't believe that, it seems that i'm in a dead end. I' now waiting 1 hour and 36 minutes!!!

dmancran

Were you able to get resolution to this problem? I'm really sorry to hear about your support experience.  I would love to speak with you directly to better understand the issue so that we can prevent it from happening in the future.  I will send you a message with my contact information.

Wils

I'm having the same issue, seems it still hasn't been fixed and its 4+ weeks later.

TMACMD

For what it is worth, I just did this. We took the safe route:

• Enable SSH on the ESXi host
  • Put host into MAINT mode
  • SSH in and remove the NetApp NFS VIB
  • Reboot
  • Re-enable SSH if needed
  • SSH in and install new VIB
  • Reboot
  • Verify in vSphere: Hardware Acceleration Support
  • Remove from MAINT mode.

Also, for what it is worth, the CLI instructions did NOT work as advertised:

• esxcli software component apply -d /<tmp>/<or>/<some_path>/<downloaded-plugin-file-version>.zip

I Ended up using this command which work flawlessly:

• esxcli software vib install -d /<tmp>/<or>/<some_path>/<downloaded-plugin-file-version>.zip

You MUST use an absolute path. Relative paths will not work!

sraudonis

Manual install via CLI is possible, as i wrote, so i know how to install the plugin on the host...

I'm trying to install the plugin via Lifecycle Manager from the vCenter, please look to my screenshot. Install via SSH is a workaround, not a solution for my problem...

sraudonis

It is a problem, NetApp has used in the meta-file only the version which was available during release of the plugin. NetApp has created now a internal case: 1413754

Who has access and want's to know when a fix is available can subscribe it there.

ArnoKattenpoelO

Hey Guys, we were facing the same issue. Unfortunately I cannot upload the file I edited for security reasons.

The way we fixed this is opening up the zip file, and edit all the xml files and change "7.0.1" to "7.0.2" (might work with "7.0.*" for future proofing this solution but this is untested).

**Also make sure the xml files inside metadata.zip that resides inside the plugin zip is also updated with the new version number.

Then import the plugin to vCenter and it will show supported versions 7.0.1 (probably from the vib) and 7.0.2 from the metadata xml files. After a compliance check it will show that the host needs remediation.

Hope this helps anyone still having this issue.

Socra

A BURT was created: Installation of  "NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI" in Lifecycle Manager not possible - NetApp Knowledge Base
but still after six months no solution, come on NetApp how hard can it be to put out a updated vib with version 7.x (and 8.x before long) so we can use it with lifecycle manager?
This is ridiculous 

Public