ONTAP Discussions

Issue with aggr creation

Afridi

hi there 

we have NetApp Release 8.1.4p1 7-Mode.

i am trying to create an aggragte of 32 disks of type FCAL and getting an error with dula parity

aggr create aggr_name -t raid_dp -d oc.32 1a.39...........up to 32 disks and get following error

aggr create: Neither a count of disks nor a list of disks for the new aggregate was specfied.

4 REPLIES 4

TMAC_CTG

would be helpful to see the full command. likely a typo.

The first disk you have oc.32 and probably should be 0c.32

(zero instead of the letter o)

or try

aggr create aggr_name -t raid_dp -T FC-AL -r 16 -n 32

(create an aggr using RAID-DP, type FCAL, 16 disks per raid group, use 32 disks, show-me but not not apply)

If you like the output, then drop the -n and run again.

Also, why not use the GUI?

Afridi

hi there 

thank u for your time

i have used aggr create agg1 -R 15000 50 and it worked but i have another issue that is i have 50 15k RPM disk and other 32 7200 RPM disks but i want to mix them to have big aggregate but i cant mix it so is there any solution to have both in one aggregate or i need to attatch anoth disk shelf

Regards

TMAC_CTG

You do not want to mix them

15K = high-speed 

7200 = SATA

VERY different performance characteristics. Not even close to a good idea to mix.

If you *must*, I am going to leave it to you to research (I will not dictate an answer here as I personally think it is a really REALLY bad idea) how to do it. Hints: you must use CLI and more than likely something other than "admin" level.

Afridi

yeagh i know

but i can afford the risk as i am using it for not very important data but any whay when i try to do that it says u can't mixe it so i was just asking is it possible or not and that's it as i will attach another disk shelf .

thnak u for your time

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public