ONTAP Discussions

NetApp DSM Path State

terryzolinski

Hello all, I am currently investigating a potential issue with DSM 4.0.1 on a couple of Windows 2008 R2/ Windows 2012 hosts. All of the LUNs I have mapped to my CDOT 8.2P3 cluster are showing Path State Active/Optimized for 2 paths and Unavailable for 2 other paths. The TPG state for the Active/Optimized paths is Active/Optimized and for the Unavailable paths is Active/Unoptimized.

I assume the TPG state is correct and relates to the Cluster-Interconnect ports being available but they are not an optimal path, therefore they should not be chosen in failure unless both optimized paths are down. However, if I edit the paths that are unavailable my only option is Active/Optimized. If I manually set the paths to Active/Optimized, as I understand it seems the system will use these paths as optimized and thus, send I/O over the interconnects.

So the question I guess is should I be setting the Path State to Active/Optimized even though the TPG state is Active/Unoptimized? Or did I miss something during the configuration?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Re: NetApp DSM Path State

terryzolinski

I just tested this out. I took the 2 LIFs offline that are attached to this cluster node, so it's going across the cluster interconnect to the other cluster member. Did a rescan in diskmgmt and checked the properties of the disk I was testing with. Now the interfaces that were showing path state Unavailable (when all 4 LIFs were active) now only show 2 paths, both being Active/Unoptimized. These paths also have the same Path ID. So this appears to be the proper configuration.

View solution in original post

2021 NetApp Partner Experience Survey
PES Banner
All Community Forums
Public