Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

ONTAP Discussions

Newbie Data Ontap cluster 8.2

wolfontap99

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Netapp CDOT so excuse me for stupidity. I was go through the elearning for Ontap cluster fundamental ..this morning.

I have few questions that i tried researching but couldnt find an answer ..I am trying my luck here .

1.  HA pair still exists in Data ontap cluster meaning .. Storage failover must be configured with partner . Help me understand this .. 

Can i have cluster with odd number of nodes i.e  cluster of 3 nodes or 5 nodes ?

Does it have to be in even number so that I can have a partner for each node ?  

If 3 nodes cluster exist , how is HA paired among them ?

2. Can I use ontap 8.3 to simulate failover ?? I read its not possible in ontap 8.2 or below?? How can i test or configure failove in simulator ? 

If you managed to do it .. can you please share procedure ?

3. One last question 🙂 

I just need a high level overview of step by step . ( not in details just a task by task ) > I see there are many helpful blogs on step by step setting cluster ontap.

1 . Create 2 node cluster

2.  Create aggr

3. Create Vserver/SVM

4. Create  file or block protocol LIF for connectivity and volumes 

Since failover isnt possible on simulator .. I want to know opinion from others who are using simulator to practice ? Please give me list of task that i can try on simulator

I went to try failover .it took me lot of effort to understand its not possible . I am tryin to seek help from pro's who have already used simulator and tested functinalites of cluster ontap

2 REPLIES 2

Sahana

Hi

You cannot have a cluster with odd number of nodes.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

hariprak

Hi,

For Simulate ONTAP 8.2 Installation and Setup Guide, refer,
ftp://ftp.netapp.com/pub/Promise/Simulator/Simulate_ONTAP_8.2_Installation_and_Setup_Guide.pdf
http://community.netapp.com/fukiw75442/attachments/fukiw75442/developer-network-articles-and-resources/112/1/Simulate+ONTAP+8.2+Step-by-Step+Installat...

The below link describes how to set up and configure clustered Data ONTAP, including initial Vserver configuration.
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1196796

The below document describes how to install and manage high-availability clustered configurations, including storage failover and takeover/giveback.
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1196905

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public