ONTAP Discussions

No Thin Provisioning Option / Automatic Compaction

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hello,

I noticed while auditing volumes on our DR destination cluster that none of our newest volumes are being thin provisioned or having compaction automatically applied. This is a FAS system but I configured compaction to apply automatically to new volumes, or so I thought. I realized thin provisioning wouldn't happen automatically on a FAS system, so then I had to determine what changed? The issue is the newer SnapMirror interface in System Manager. It doesn't give the option to thin provision destination volumes when you right-click a volume and choose "Protect". Very irritating and somewhat surprising. 

Would love to hear any thoughts on why compaction settings aren't automatically being applied, and/or if the thin provision option makes a comeback after OnTAP 9.3 which is what we are on right now.

1 REPLY 1

TMADOCTHOMAS

To be more clear, well over a year ago I followed instructions in this KB:

https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-vsmg%2FGUID-111E0D83-2F1C-4862-8E39-403DB524D7C8.html

I entered the wafl compaction enable command on the aggregates. I just verified the setting is still in place. Despite that, i just added 11 new volumes yesterday and I'm having to manually add the compaction setting. Anyone have an idea why?

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public