ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP Software on our FAS8040 machine

NetApp_Journeyman

Hi

 

We currently have two NetApp machines in production, operating on the NetApp release 9.3P3 and 9.4P3 respectively. I'm aware that the latest release is 9.7, and was wondering if there was a pressing need to upgrade our operating system. We're happy where we are, but if there are any crucial features in the later versions, we would appreciate knowing them.

 

Ideally, we would like to potentially update to 9.6 or 9.5, rather than update to the latest version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

At this point yes.  I would patch to 9.5  and go to 9.6 after that if you want.    You would need to get to 9.5 on either system before you can go higher anyway.  (Yes there is an option to go from 9.3 to 9.7, but it's a double upgrade) 

 

 I typically wait till P2 or P3 of an OS release before recommending it to my customers. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AllenJohnson

I would also look at the NetApp release notes and see what issues or enhancements were addressed. I would also look at the NetApp IMT and validate that the rest of your environment is support, as you may have to upgrade (firmware / patches) in the rest of your environment.

I agree that with you, don't upgrade just to be on the bleeding edge.

GidonMarcus

Hi,

 

You can see all the fixes between the two versions:

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/relcmp.on

So the version you are using indeed a bit old.  Almost 1000 bugs fixed between 9.7 to 9.3P3

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/relcmp.on?notfirst=Go%21&rrel=9.7&rels=9.3P3&what=fix

 

If you want A simple information on what version NetApp suggest you to go is in that KB:

https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1000185

 

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

paul_stejskal

9.4 is out of support, so I'd upgrade. There are a few design changes on 9.7 that if you serve CIFS it will optimize performance. Also you can migrate to Flexgroups from Flexvols on 9.7.

SpindleNinja

At this point yes.  I would patch to 9.5  and go to 9.6 after that if you want.    You would need to get to 9.5 on either system before you can go higher anyway.  (Yes there is an option to go from 9.3 to 9.7, but it's a double upgrade) 

 

 I typically wait till P2 or P3 of an OS release before recommending it to my customers. 

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public