ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP cluster, aggregates and network share common space

Lukas2

Hello everyone,

I'm new to forum and ONTAP and I've a question.

Were're running on two node ONTAP cluster. From CLI I was able to create aggregates (one per node), root volume, SVM etc., but when it comes to creating SMB share I can only see space of single aggregate and I'm not able to add storage space of another.

Is it possible to create common/shared aggregate for two nodes?

If not, how it's possible to create network share and use space of two aggregates at once?

Thanks & regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mjizzini

Volume junctions function to join individual volumes together, into a single logical namespace, in order to enable data access to NAS clients.

What are junction paths?

another way will be to create a flexgroup.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mjizzini

Volume junctions function to join individual volumes together, into a single logical namespace, in order to enable data access to NAS clients.

What are junction paths?

another way will be to create a flexgroup.

Lukas2

Thank you Mjizzini. 

Lukas2

Hi,

can you please clarify additional thing?  I've created:

volumeA on nodeA and mounted it under /path

volumeB on nodeB and mounted it under /path/B

I couldn't 've used /root path for volumeB or mount volumeA under /path/A, if it matters. 

This share is intended to be a NAS, but currently I cannot use whole capacity, only half of it. 

How junction should be used to combine aggregates and share it as a single storage space? If not possible with aggregated and junction, how then?

regards,

jcolonfzenpr

Maybe Flexgroup is what you are looking for.

https://youtu.be/PemoCh9Q2AM

Jonathan Colón | Blog | Linkedin

Mjizzini

FlexGroup volumes: An evolution of NAS
ONTAP 9.1 brought innovation to scale-out NAS file systems: the NetApp ONTAP FlexGroup volume.
With FlexGroup volumes, a storage administrator can easily provision a massive single namespace in a
matter of seconds. FlexGroup volumes have virtually no capacity or file count constraints outside of the
11 NetApp ONTAP FlexGroup volumes — Best practices and implementation guide © 2021 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved.
physical limits of hardware or the total volume limits of ONTAP. Limits are determined by the overall
number of constituent member volumes that work in collaboration to dynamically balance load and space
allocation evenly across all members. There is no required maintenance or management overhead with a
FlexGroup volume. You simply create the FlexGroup volume and share it with your NAS clients. ONTAP
does the rest.

NetApp ONTAP FlexGroup volumes Best practices and implementation guide

Lukas2

Thank you guys, now everything is fine. 

Public