ONTAP Discussions

Ontap Upgrade Advise

murdock01

I am planning an upgrade of a couple different clusters in our environment. We are currently on OT 9.3p10. I am planning on upgrading to 9.7p16. I have my AIQ upgrade advisor plans, and I have been working through a check list of items like making sure firmware versions are up to date, to make the upgrade as smooth as possible.
I was wondering if anyone has had any suggestions to make this as painless as possible? Or is anyone has had any issues with the upgrade that I might need to consider before pulling the trigger?

I have done a few upgrades in the past, but this will be my first dual upgrade (i.e., 9.3 to 9.5 to 9.7) and my first 4 node upgrade.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The 2552 doesn't have AES-NI, so in 9.6 we enabled CSM encryption for SnapMirror. Just be aware if you upgrade and suddenly CPU jumps on the 2500. Same for anything else using AES. https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/FAS_Systems/High_HOST_CSM-BTLS_Slow_SnapMirror_on_FAS2500_ONTAP_9.6_or_higher

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Fabian1993

That is fine, if you had checked the AIQ Plan you are ready. The Update from 9.3 to 9.7 worked without any problems. Which AFF/FAS you are updating?

Our archival cluster is an FAS2552, and then our prod cluster which is an AFF8040 and a FAS8200.

Thanks for the reply

The 2552 doesn't have AES-NI, so in 9.6 we enabled CSM encryption for SnapMirror. Just be aware if you upgrade and suddenly CPU jumps on the 2500. Same for anything else using AES. https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/FAS_Systems/High_HOST_CSM-BTLS_Slow_SnapMirror_on_FAS2500_ONTAP_9.6_or_higher

View solution in original post

Thanks Paul, this is the kind of thing I am looking for. I have not seen this KB before. 

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public