ONTAP Discussions

Panic string: page fault alert caused filer reboot - Ontap  Ontap 7 mode 8.1.3P3

krishnavardhini

Hi Team, We have received  below panic alerts  for one of our netapp filer with Ontap 7 mode 8.1.3P3 and got rebooted. Could you please let know if we have any solution to sort below panic alerts and can we know what would have caused for the panic.

Logs:

Mon Jan 16 17:30:44 GMT [lhrbod-fsxxh03:mgr.stack.saved:notice]: Reboot with saved panic information in log file   Mon Jan 16 17:30:44 GMT [lhrbod-fsxxh03:mgr.stack.string:notice]: Panic string: page fault (supervisor read, page not present) on VA 0x28 cs:rip = 0x8:0xffffffff843eceb3 rflags = 0x10246 in SK process Auth09 on release 8.1.3P3   Mon Jan 16 17:30:44 GMT [lhrbod-fsxxh03:mgr.stack.at:notice]: Panic occurred at: Mon Jan 16 17:14:14  2023    Mon Jan 16 17:30:44 GMT [lhrbod-fsxxh03:mgr.stack.proc:notice]: Panic in process: Auth09  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Unfortunately, your Ontap (7-mode) version is way out-of-date and for such errors (panic) it is suggested to contact support and upload the core file. However, I don't think that is an option available in your case. There could be multiple causes, only after analyzing the core-dump file that the engineering/support could advise what might have caused it.  Recommendation will be to upgrade the OS, i.e data ontap from 8.1 to 8.2 (last upgradable version).

Related Kb (May be not your issue)

System panic with PANIC: page fault (supervisor read, page not present)
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/FAS_Systems/System_panic_with_PANIC%3A_page_fault_(supervisor_read%2C_page_not_p...

Upgrade:

Data ONTAP 8.2 Upgrade and Revert/Downgrade Guide For 7-Mode (netapp.com)

8.2 download : (You can do NDU from 8.1 to 8.2)

NetApp Support Site - Product Details - Download

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ontapforrum

Unfortunately, your Ontap (7-mode) version is way out-of-date and for such errors (panic) it is suggested to contact support and upload the core file. However, I don't think that is an option available in your case. There could be multiple causes, only after analyzing the core-dump file that the engineering/support could advise what might have caused it.  Recommendation will be to upgrade the OS, i.e data ontap from 8.1 to 8.2 (last upgradable version).

Related Kb (May be not your issue)

System panic with PANIC: page fault (supervisor read, page not present)
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Systems/FAS_Systems/System_panic_with_PANIC%3A_page_fault_(supervisor_read%2C_page_not_p...

Upgrade:

Data ONTAP 8.2 Upgrade and Revert/Downgrade Guide For 7-Mode (netapp.com)

8.2 download : (You can do NDU from 8.1 to 8.2)

NetApp Support Site - Product Details - Download

Public