ONTAP Discussions

Patching new trunk LAG

kodiak_f

Hi Folks,

We have a FAS 8200 cluster (9.5P9) that is currently using a single 2 port data interface group  (per node) on an isolated switch dedicated to VMware storage.

Our goal is to add another 2 port data interface group that is for general purpose data SVMs (NFS and CIFS) which may be on any of a number of VLANs.  

As such we need to physically patch 4 new 10Gbe connections to the FAS, 2 for each node, which will all become members of an interface group (or do we create 2 interface groups, one per node?), which will be part of a switch LACP LAG configured as trunk ports.

We'll then extend a number of vlan tags onto those 4 ports from the switch and create those vlans on the interface group.

Then we can move on to creation of SVMs.

Did I miss anything in the above steps?  This all seems like it'll be perfectly non-disruptive to our existing VMWare isolated storage network interface groups, right?

Thanks!

I did create a mock recipe for this if it helps explain what I'm attempting:

https://gist.github.com/kfiresmith/79244a1c0254a471cabcfd5214846a67

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi there!

Yes - it will be non-disruptive - assuming you're using different VLAN tags etc on each set of links. 

To answer your question - you create one ifgrp per controller, and likewise on the switch side, you create a channel group per controller for this new ifgrp.

Your github document is a good start - you probably already have an a0a on each node for the existing ifgrp - so you may use a0b for a new one. Personally I used to call node 1's ifgrps a1a, a1b, a1c etc, then node 2 would be a2a, a2b etc - but that's up to each admin. Once the ifgrp is created, and ports added to it, you then create broadcast domains, as per https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-nmg%2FGUID-92011B2B-B3EE-4860-B9B0-1868D2966A7F.html and then create LIFs for SVMs inside those broadcast domains.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AlexDawson

Hi there!

Yes - it will be non-disruptive - assuming you're using different VLAN tags etc on each set of links. 

To answer your question - you create one ifgrp per controller, and likewise on the switch side, you create a channel group per controller for this new ifgrp.

Your github document is a good start - you probably already have an a0a on each node for the existing ifgrp - so you may use a0b for a new one. Personally I used to call node 1's ifgrps a1a, a1b, a1c etc, then node 2 would be a2a, a2b etc - but that's up to each admin. Once the ifgrp is created, and ports added to it, you then create broadcast domains, as per https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-nmg%2FGUID-92011B2B-B3EE-4860-B9B0-1868D2966A7F.html and then create LIFs for SVMs inside those broadcast domains.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

kodiak_f

Thanks AlexDawson,

I'll continue to work on my runbook for this task - will be taking it on tomorrow evening hopefully.  Appreciate it!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public