ONTAP Discussions

Repurposing of DS4246 and adding it to the newly purchased FAS2720

Clem_SG

Hi All,

I haven't explored yet repurposing an existing shelve (DS4246) from FAS2552 and placing it to a newly purchased FAS2720. I am trying to check some documentation on how to do that but having a hard time finding one. Seeking your assistance on how we can proceed migrating the data from the old FAS2552 with DS4246 and moving it to FAS2720. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

SpindleNinja

This should also be broken down in to 2 parts -  

1. Data migration 

2. Repurpose the shelf.  

What ONTAP version is the 2552 running?  

What type of data is being moved?  (CIFS, LUNs, VMware etc). 

These two questions will help quantify  what method to use.   

NetApp to NetApp migration can be broken down in to 2 methods.  (Well 3 technically, but we're not going to talk headswaps here due to your existing gear).  

1. Snapmirror or a varient  of it. 

2. If you have access a set of cluster switches you could have the option to create a temporary 4 node cluster.  

Clem_SG

Hi SpindleNinja,

To answer your questions,

ONTAP 9.1 P12 is the ONTAP version that is running the FAS2552 and

the type of data is CIFS that runs as a shared folder.

Appreciate your guidance and support. Thank you.

SpindleNinja

Is there a way you can get the 2552 upgrade?      Work with your account team, they should be able to point you in the right direction.     If you can get it upgraded, you can do snapmirror between the old and new system and cut the CIFS data over that way.       

Other option, if you have access to cluster switches,  you can create a 4 node cluster between the two systems for a non-disruptive migration.    I recommend PS for this however.  

Public