The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to register at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

ONTAP Discussions

SPARES_LOW on AFF-A250

PeterMekes

Hi,

Is the AFF-A250 an capacity-optimized system and can I safely change the  "raid.min_spare_count" to  0 ?

Customer is getting every week a SPARES_LOW  warning.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CHRISMAKI

Hi PeterMekes,

I just confirmed in Fusion that the partitioning you described is as expected from ADP R-D-D. Because of this, you should be able to adjust MIN_SPARES to 0, I didn't have access to an 8 drive system, so I was unable. As you can see in the error message from my previous reply was that setting it to 0 on systems with more than 16 drives isn't supported, but you are well under that threshold. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CHRISMAKI

I believe setting that value to 0 would eliminate the SPARES_LOW warning, but the real question here should be "should I have zero hot spares available?", to which my answer would be no...Now if you have cold spares on site, that would make me less nervous, but I'd much rather see a hot spare be available.

EDIT: Just tried this and go the following:

option raid.min_spare_count: Cannot be set to 0 if there are more than 16 drives or any RAID4 groups configured.

PeterMekes

Hi Chrismaki,

The system has 8 disk and partioned  with root-data-data. They are provisioned into aggregates such that each controller uses 7 data partitions for filesystem data, and one data partition remains as a spare. (Recommended  during installation)

So there are no spare disk only a spare partition per controller.

CHRISMAKI

Hi PeterMekes,

I just confirmed in Fusion that the partitioning you described is as expected from ADP R-D-D. Because of this, you should be able to adjust MIN_SPARES to 0, I didn't have access to an 8 drive system, so I was unable. As you can see in the error message from my previous reply was that setting it to 0 on systems with more than 16 drives isn't supported, but you are well under that threshold. 

View solution in original post

PeterMekes

Hi Chrismaki,

Thanks, I shall adjust the setting to 0.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public