ONTAP Discussions

START_TLS disruptive or not?

simpsora

Hi,

We want to convert our AD authentication to use start_tls.

I found this document that tells me how to do so https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/pdfs/sidebar/Configure_LDAP_over_TLS.pdf

I assume this process is disruptive to CIFS connections as it involves changing domain authentication but I cant seem to find anywhere concrete that says it is or not. So does anyone know if it is or is not?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

sanmanjax
Typically, a CIFS connection made with the old authentication method will remain valid as long as there is at least one file open. Once disconnected, any new connections will use the new authentication settings. That's not hard and fast, as some code levels may prevent opening any new files on existing connections, and any new connections will use the new settings. All-in-all it is safer to assume disruption and make the change after hours.

Mobile: 904.373.8855
Work: 904.328.2555

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information and are solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the original message. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use, disclose, disseminate or distribute this email or any information contained in this email. Please be advised that emails are subject to the Florida Public Records Act, and any response to this email may be a public record.
Public