ONTAP Discussions

Snapshot restoration

sairajeev

can we restore the complete VM from the Netapp snapshot ?

I have provided 1 lun to that Vm - we have 30 snapshots on the storage.

the thing is OS of the VM is upgraded to newer version yesterday.

With old storage snapshots VM cant be restored to old version - am I correct ? if vm need to be restored to old version - VM level snapshot will help.

Please correct me if am wriong. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ontapforrum

Do you use NetApp 'VSC' for backup/restore ? VM snaps are useful for a quick restores (For short time only) without requiring VSC (plug-in) or storage team's involvement and to avoid consuming resources on the ESX, ex- if you are doing an OS update/patching and you want to quickly restore back without VSC. VSC NetApp Snapshot backups (crash-consistent) does the same thing, it's just that it is for long term stable storage. To answer: You  can restore entire VM using storage snapshot, it will roll back the VM to whatever date/time it was captured )(including whatever OS/patch it was at that given date/time). Just choose the snapshot (date/time) before the newer version was upgraded.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ontapforrum

Do you use NetApp 'VSC' for backup/restore ? VM snaps are useful for a quick restores (For short time only) without requiring VSC (plug-in) or storage team's involvement and to avoid consuming resources on the ESX, ex- if you are doing an OS update/patching and you want to quickly restore back without VSC. VSC NetApp Snapshot backups (crash-consistent) does the same thing, it's just that it is for long term stable storage. To answer: You  can restore entire VM using storage snapshot, it will roll back the VM to whatever date/time it was captured )(including whatever OS/patch it was at that given date/time). Just choose the snapshot (date/time) before the newer version was upgraded.

Public